Forum Hack update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A big sorry to all members for the recent downtime.

The problem was a hacker that managed to compromise the server.

I have been running 2 websites on the server,this one and a lung cancer charity site that I host and manage for free.

The charity website has a gallery for member pictures that include a section of members who have passed away.

I had not updated the album software since the start of the new year and a security patch had been released that I failed to upload.

This left the door wide open for a hacker to enter the server and wreck a few files.

I was going to upload a backup of the forum but it was just under a week old so we would of lost a few hundred posts and a few new members who had joined up in the last 7 days.

As is typical of these sort of problems the hacker managed to choose just about the busiest weekend I have had for a few years, so I was unable to dig into the database and files to fix things as I was mainly offline for 4 days.

There are still a few things to fix such as the gallery blogs etc,these I will fix and re-install over the next few hours and days.

A big thank you for all the telephone calls and offers of help that I received from members over the weekend,and most of all thank you for your continued support of the forum.

Mark (Admin).

Good to see you back - I've suffered similar in the past, and it's utterly sickening - rather like walking into the carnage after a fox has got into the henhouse.
Let's hope the hacker's karma catches him up bigtime!

Hooray
Now i have something to do at work !!!!.

What measures will you be taking to stop this sort of thing happening again ?, anything we (i) can help with ??.

Thanks for getting it working again dude.

Well done- and a BIG thank you for all your hard work - must have been a sleepless weekend for you :cuss:

xx

Nice one admin.

It is nothing but a pain in the a***, when some idiot has nothing better to do with his time than look for vulnerable sites and attack them. Is there something so controversial about Bees that I am missing??????

The few spoil it all for the many.......................................

In a world where National bee associations accept money from agrochemical companies, nothing surprises me much anymore............

Good work Admin, great to see the site is up and running once more.
Would secure login help the situation for the future?

Nice to see the site back up again, I know only too well what its like trying to stop idiots like that trying to spoil things for everyone.

Well done, lets hope the low life discovers girls or some other adolescent activity soon eh?

Good work at getting the site back up and running. I just dont understand the need for hackers to do these sort of things.

If it's any consolation (and those that know me from the BBKA forum will probably be thinking "not really") you got at least one new member as a result of it.

Frm the Outer Hebridies on Benbecula

Well done Mark and S**S Law comes to mind.

PH

Well done Admin,nice to see forum up and running again.

Welcome to this forum Nellie.

Good work Admin, I was beginning to suffer from bee deprivation:( Your efforts much appreciated.
:cheers2: Mike

Your labour is appreciated Admin. Thank you for your valuable time and effort.
Is virtualisation likely to figure as part of your defence strategy over the next few years?

Good to see you back.

Back