Forum etiquette

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What wrong with just an old fashioned candle,

in my youth they did not have light bulbs on my grandfather farm ,just oil lamps and candles

and a bucket ...."blimey you were lucky!" lol Hi all.. have been reading posts and watching videos especially like hedgerow petes!! very new to the bee keeping world, finding the forum very informative ,had my first apiary meeting last month and have the next one in september, i start a beek course next year .. Bram

welcome to the forum

as i am in a Herts BKA afficalted association, where are you taking your course

Hi MM.. I am joining south hert bbk aa i dont know where its taking place all i know at the moment its a six week course and starts in February

Repwoc, here are my superior bulbs. As you can see there are two types, but as I've recently requeened, they will all look like the curlier type when the older bulbs die off. As you can see from the rings on their necks....I am positive these are native, white bulbs, I don't care what anybody says :D

This is soooooo much fun ;)

I like the curvier ones but are you sure they are native? A bit exotic for our climate me thinks.

it does in my house

with theese bloody builbs

following an outbreak of behaviour on the forum warranting Joyce Grenfell's "don't do that George", I felt it apposite to post the following "oldie but goodie"

How many beekeepers does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the lightbulb, and to post that it has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences at changing light bulbs, and how said lightbulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about all the possible dangers of changing lightbulbs.

6 to argue over whether it is a "lightbulb" or a "light bulb”, and another 6 to condemn those 6 as being stupid.

2 industry pros to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

16 know it alls who claim they are in industry, and that light bulb is perfectly correct.

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs, and to please take this discussion to a light bulb forum.

11 to defend the posting to this forum, saying that we all use light bulbs ,therefore the post is indeed relevant to this forum.

36 to debate which method of changing lightbulbs is superior, where to buy these bulbs, what brand works best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

5 people to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 people to post "I can't see their !@#^%$ light bulbs".

7 people to post URL's where one can see examples of lightbulbs.

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly, and then post the corrections.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety, including all headers and signatures, and add "Me Too".

5 posts to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the lightbulb controversy.

4 to say " didn't we go through this a short time ago?"'

13 to say " do a search on lightbulbs before posting a question on lightbulbs.

1 to bring politics into the discussion, by adding that the current president is not the brightest bulb.

4 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to post to the original thread 6 whole months from now ,and start it all over again. :D

Nah, only five.

1 To change the bulb
4 To turn the ladder round and round

energy saving bulbs are far superior to the old style bulbs, I've used them for a few years now and find them economical, and far safer....but then I'm new to bulbing, so am probably wrong ;) heehee

actualy while your obviously a nice person i have to say that your above statement is incorrect, while i know nothing about bees i can speak with alot of knowledge on bulbs! and energy saver bulbs are BAD!! it takes way more energy to make them than conventional bulbs infact far more than they actualy save. and they contain many toxic compounds that end up in landfill sites!! so please dont be fooled by the name!!! they are a bad bad thing.

anyway why are you using bulbs in the first place???? you keep bees so why not use candles??? :D

personaly i work too hard to need a bulb so i am asleep and in bed before its dark :p

The thing about energy savers not being eco friendly is nonsense put about by the likes of the dreaded Delingpole, Sara Palin and other flat-earther climate change deniers... (usually in the pay of Exxon and their ilk....:D)

I find the energy saving bulbs are okay......i leave them on 24 hours a day, as if you turn them off it takes a couple of hours for them to warm up before you can see what your doing.

I find the energy saving bulbs are okay......i leave them on 24 hours a day, as if you turn them off it takes a couple of hours for them to warm up before you can see what your doing.

you are personaly responsible for global warming. you and george bush

actualy while your obviously a nice person i have to say that your above statement is incorrect, while i know nothing about bees i can speak with alot of knowledge on bulbs! and energy saver bulbs are BAD!! it takes way more energy to make them than conventional bulbs infact far more than they actualy save. and they contain many toxic compounds that end up in landfill sites!! so please dont be fooled by the name!!! they are a bad bad thing.

anyway why are you using bulbs in the first place???? you keep bees so why not use candles??? :D

personaly i work too hard to need a bulb so i am asleep and in bed before its dark :p

What about LED am I good boy

Newportbuzz. I'm just trying to help prevent the next ice age....which is looming up fast.

ALL light bulbs are 100% efficient at turning electrical energy into heat. Some generate more heat than others.

In 1970s M&S decided to install 'low energy' lighting into all their stores. They installed TL84 fluorescent tubes throughout which caused havoc in the colouration industries because of their peculiar light spectrum - suddenly colours which matched in daylight (actual and artificial) didn't match any more in M&S shops.

Anyway the result was they did indeed save some electricity on lighting. Unfortunately they also had to turn the heating up which detracted somewhat from the savings and I suspect the viability of the whole project. And of course lots of their suppliers had to get new equipment installed so they could work with and provide compatibility with the new lighting - cost a fortune and the energy costs in doing it must have been significant too - not that M&S cared much about that.

Things is never as simple as they first appear.

Last edited:
fair enough im converted ill leave my ones on all day and night i bow to your superior knowledge
on a second note is it fair to be giving all these moths a headache or should i take out my windows ?????? they seem quite insistant on getting to the bulb

Newportbuzz. I'm just trying to help prevent the next ice age....which is looming up fast.

Newportbuzz, Be kind to moths......remove all your windows and just turn your heating up full blast to keep warm...

Latest posts

Back