Fortnum & Masons' hives..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley Hoppy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I was given a little book on Honey and Preserves - published by Fortnum & Mason - it waxes lyrically about the majestic oak hives on the roof of the London store and how superior their 'precious golden elixir' (honey) is.... made from nectar gathered from St James Park and Buckingham Palace etc etc. (can't possibly be nicer than mine!)
Look at the website for a live webcam showing the hives;
fortnumandmason.combee-smillie

As you say, it would have to bee pretty special to beat your own hives produce.
I wonder if it tastes better because of all the lead and high carbon fallout, along with the dust and dirt from London.
NOT, that I am saying there is ANYTHING wrong with honey produced in ANY city.
I know where I would rather BEE.
Fortnum & Mason, give me good ol' Norfolk honey anytime.

Don't forget that they're comparing it with the "commercial" product that the supermarkets sell, rather than the untreated, "fresh from the bee" honey that we're used to.

And we're most of us affected by traffic and industrial fumes no matter where we live, and the odd bit of nuclear fallout in some parts. Even East Anglia has the odd tractor chugging around and plenty of pesticides being spead in the industrial farms.

This is what the Fortnum and Mason beekeeper says in his book about 'bees in the city'. "..I know that London is the best possible choice for the health of bees in the future and for the quality of their honey..." and "Out in the more concreted mono-floral parts of the countryside, bees face the constant threat of modern pesticides, particularly those used on oilseed rape, a crop that does far more damage to bees than most people realise."

As you say, it would have to bee pretty special to beat your own hives produce.
I wonder if it tastes better because of all the lead and high carbon fallout, along with the dust and dirt from London.
NOT, that I am saying there is ANYTHING wrong with honey produced in ANY city.
I know where I would rather BEE.
Fortnum & Mason, give me good ol' Norfolk honey anytime.

Ha Ha exactly my thoughts too.

all the lead

Where does all the lead come from - washing off roof flashing?

Your being pedantic. 'E1M' was referring to pollution and as such emissions from motor vehicles. Obviously carbon monoxide is a by-product and not lead due to the change in fuel chemistry in petrochemicals.

Don't try blaming me for your shotcomings. Not being pedantic. You got it completely wrong. Plain old 'accurate', I would say. You need to give your posts some (more) thought.

I has been near 15 years since unleaded was seriously becoming the norm. Even then unleaded had a cost advantage, for all except those with cast iron exhaust valve seats in the engine.

£12.95 per jar! Someone taking the 'P'? No jar size advertised either!

it is £12.95 for 227g, so for all you under selling your honey at £3/lb thats £25.90 per lb.....must be brilliant honey at that price :puke:

they have regents park honey at the same price, think it is from Zootrain ( they run evening course on beekeeping at £170 for 4x2hr sessions)....

A local organic shop sells london honey for £5 per 250g jar....thats is £10+ per pound...unfortunalty i only get £6/lbs , i sell it for £4.50 for 12oz hex jars but can't get buyers for lb jars at £5.75......same honey and cheaper per lb....but the Hex jar at under £5 makes it sell better ( about the same prices as tesco English OSR honey 340g jar)

Last edited:
Don't try blaming me for your shotcomings. Not being pedantic. You got it completely wrong. Plain old 'accurate', I would say. You need to give your posts some (more) thought.

I has been near 15 years since unleaded was seriously becoming the norm. Even then unleaded had a cost advantage, for all except those with cast iron exhaust valve seats in the engine.

Maybe you need to read more s l o w ly as I stated 'E1M' mentioned about lead not I.

You muppet.:conehead:

it is £12.95 for 227g, so for all you under selling your honey at £3/lb thats £25.90 per lb.....must be brilliant honey at that price :puke:

I did see that but their own honey doesn't appear to have a weight on it. I can only presume it's 227g. Bloody snobs!

ITs package in wales. The honey is really nice just as good as anyones really. meet the guys that helped steve set up there really nice, brillant beekeepers

Dishmop, thought it was only me that could not see the hives for the pollution.
With regards to lead, how old is his roof if it has lead flashings? Maybe lead pipes as well.
Now they say there is more harmful particulants in Diesel!

Latest posts

Back