Forest beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have been offered an out apiary in a large area of well managed forest, mixed conifer/deciduous. It is quite a way (7 miles) from where I live so will need to be worth while.
Is this likely to be good for forage? The deciduous trees are mainly oak and beech with some sweet chestnut, and there are lots of forest tracks edged with flowers in high summer.

nowadays I find that forestries aren't 'managed' as intensely as in the past - plenty of wildflowers,rosebay willowherb, brambles, willows in the damp spots - I'd go for it

Sweet chestnut honey, imho, is one of the best flavoured dark honeys available,

You'll never know until you've tried it. Avoid deep shade and you should be OK. All sorts of factors contribute to a "good" site, accessibility, forage, security and so on. If there is good forage within a mile or two you might not know until the bees find it.

Johny

'Forest Honey' sells at a premium in Germany, sourced from hives in the Black Forest.
It's v dark and comes from honeydew - secretions of aphids in the tree canopy.

I used to get it if I left Supers on after beginning of September as I've a lot of trees nearby. It has a figgy taste/smell and spoils the multifloral honey my customers prefer

In my back home country beeks believe that trees produce more nectar than shrubs, while shrubs produce more than flowers. The best trees are: field maple - up to 1000kg/ha of honey; lime tree( linden) 800-1000 kg/ha or up to 8-15kg/tree; acacia – approx. the same or even more.
It seems to me that the local forests are much better pasture then the simple rural area i.e., as I`ve seen 50 hives in one forest apiary, while recommendations for a rural area are 8-20 hives/apiary… There are not much sheep in forests also ;)
P.S. 1 ha~=2.5 acres

Last edited:
I have been told that in Britain trees never give any forest honey=honey dew.
It needs long dry and hot periods.
Rain washes honey dew away from leaves.

But it revieles out soon, if the Place has something to offer to bees.

Last edited:
Finman : Does most of the forest honey (honeydew) in your country come from aphids or from scale insects ?

Finman : Does most of the forest honey (honeydew) in your country come from aphids ?

yes, but it is very rare.

Forest area gives honey if it is cutted down and area must be large.
Best crop comes mostly from wireweed and raspberry, and they must be in moist rich soil. Then its takes few years and it gives any more yields.

I have been told that in Britain trees never give any forest honey=honey dew.
”I do not buy it” :) First of all I do not buy this particular formula :)
Secondly the forests in my area have the following trees and shrubs (nectar makers) that began to flower on the following periods of this year (I refer to my diary ):
Willows – mid. March - beginning of April
Blackthorn, cherry laurels, maples/sycamores, some of rose family - mid. April
Chest nut tree – end of April
Rowan, hawthorn/white thorne, pea tree (not many if any :) ) – beginning of May
White thorn, holly tree, cotoneáster, lilac (not many if any :) ) – mid. May
Fuchsia – end of May/beginning of June
Dogrose, rose, elder (sambucus), - mid. June
Lime tree/Linden(not many if any :) ), heather – beginning of July
Ivy – mid. September
I`m sure I missed a lot :)
And now take on account: how many pollen makers I have not mentioned.
And flowers, flowers, flowers,… Forests are the Klondike from my newbeek point of view :)
.It needs long dry and hot periods.
That`s for a dew, as aphids need some time and favor conditions to get breeded.
.Rain washes honey dew away from leaves.
…and flowers. That`s true :(
But it revieles out soon, if the Place has something to offer to bees.
I`m sure it will take plenty of happy time, subject to weather and personal factors :)

Last edited:
”I do not buy it” :) First of all I do not buy this particular formula :)
Secondly the forests in my area have the following trees and shrubs (nectar makers) that began to flower on the following periods of this year (I refer to my diary ):
Willows –)

Have you kept hives in your forests? How big yields you have got?
But forest types are so many.

Last edited:
How big is the forest area? Is there any fields within foraging distance for grassland clover or oilseed rape?

Have you kept hives in your forests? How big yields you have got?
But forest types are so many.
The nearest forest to me is about 2-3 miles away, so I presume my bees have some access :)
Spruce, Pine and other conifers are predominating over there, but there`ll always be some patches of other kinds…
It was my first season where I began with nuks I got in July, but I have good feelings about some prospects :) The closest area to me divided in two parts: flat heather fields; and regular rural area with sheep and cow fields surrounded by hedges flowering all summer around :) Thus I`ve got a real biodiversity here which is very good for any newbeek I presume :)

It was my first season where I began with nuks I got in July, but I have good feelings about some prospects :) :)

I have kept hives on forest pastures 45 years, in tens of places. They are so difficult to evaluate what is acutually in there. You may see thousands of flowers but it does not mean yield yet.

Best yield comes inside 1 km radius.

The nearest forest to me is about 2-3 miles away, so I presume my bees have some access :) :)

Bees do not forage that far, and if they fly that far, they do not have mucht bring home.

Last edited:
In my back home country beeks believe that trees produce more nectar than shrubs, while shrubs produce more than flowers. The best trees are: field maple - up to 1000kg/ha of honey; lime tree( linden) 800-1000 kg/ha or up to 8-15kg/tree; acacia – approx. the same or even more.

That is a fairytale. You need one hectar forest and you get 1000 kg honey?

If we look some Central European honey yields, their yields per hive are very modest.

Lets look at Switzerland with their mountains: "The average honey harvest is about 10 kg per colony. Once in 10 years there are exceptionally high honeydew honey harvests. Switzerland has a bee density of 4.5 colonies per square kilometre. Migratory beekeeping is rare. "

When I have hives in forest in fireweed pastures, a hive makes 10 kg honey in two days. But in dence forest they get nothing.

Last edited:
I have kept hives on forest pastures 45 years, in tens of places.
Wow! You`ll be my Klondike№2 then… regarding information, at least :) And I`ll dig out as much as possible :)
The others – in the queue, please :)
That is a fairytale. You need one hectar forest and you get 1000 kg honey?
It`s the reference materials, I give a link but I`m not sure you know that language: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Медоносы
"The average honey harvest is about 10 kg per colony. Once in 10 years there are exceptionally high honeydew honey harvests. Switzerland has a bee density of 4.5 colonies per square kilometre. Migratory beekeeping is rare. "
That`s probably why. The density is too high, plus lack of migratory benefits of getting honey all season around.
When I have hives in forest in fireweed pastures, a hive makes 10 kg honey in two days.
Do you mean nectar, do you? As when it ripens… you now all that ;)
But in dence forest they get nothing.
That`s sad… But in linden dense forest, in July…Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
How many hives could you afford to set in a single apiary in forest anyway, my friend? Min., max., and average, if you do not mind?

Bees do not forage that far, and if they fly that far, they do not have mucht bring home.
Yes, I came across information somewhere that bees can bring a surplus honey from a distance not greater than 4km.

Latest posts

Back