Forage Range

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1986 was the worst honey crop I ever made. 86'd in 86. Only a few apiaries made any surplus at all, and those very little. One apiary was located near a farm preparing to plant endive roots. The fields were plowed and planted with buckwheat. Hundreds of acres. This apiary stored some buckwheat honey. If you've ever smelled the odor of buckwheat...well it's very unique. Can't mistake it. Because the nectar flow was so poor that summer, the bees flew far afield to forage. One apiary, located 5 miles from the closest buckwheat field, had that unmistakable odor. So I know bees will travel at least 5 miles for forage if they need to

1986 was the worst honey crop I ever made. 86'd in 86. Only a few apiaries made any surplus at all, and those very little. One apiary was located near a farm preparing to plant endive roots. The fields were plowed and planted with buckwheat. Hundreds of acres. This apiary stored some buckwheat honey. If you've ever smelled the odor of buckwheat...well it's very unique. Can't mistake it. Because the nectar flow was so poor that summer, the bees flew far afield to forage. One apiary, located 5 miles from the closest buckwheat field, had that unmistakable odor. So I know bees will travel at least 5 miles for forage if they need to

It is really a huge distance.

As far as I know the nearest beehives to me are 6.8km away. Prior to me getting bees last year we did not ever see honeybees. Therefore their range is (usually) less than 6.8km.

If bees forage from the distance of 8 miles / 13 km, it takes quite much time to fly to pastures and back.

Honeyber flyes 20 km/ hour and then 13 km takes about 40 minutes to fly. Total flying time is about 1,5 hour per one trip.

Latest posts

Back