For Sale - Lohmann Brown end of lay chickens.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterswoods

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lohmann Brown end of lay hens.

Lohmann Brown is a commercial hybrid laying hen. Produces 316 eggs per year. These hens are nearing the end of their commercial use, however they do have plenty of life left in them, and should produce eggs for a few more years.

They were 57 weeks old on the 24/2/2011. Priced at £2.50 each, PM me if your intrested.

Cheers
James

The egg packing station has just told me they will not take my eggs when the birds are over 68 weeks. Which means their life will be 4 weeks shorter and will only be available for 10 weeks.

No difference at all. The difference egg farmers can't cope with is the odd day when a chook doesn't lay. Even at one or two days a week multiplied by the number of hens kept............ wipes out the profit margin seeing as supermarkets now sell almost exclusively free range (there's free range and free range though) and dictate prices.
By the way, if you're selling eggs at the back door/farm gate/work get a mixed bag. My hens lay white,brown,speckled and blue eggs and I can't shift them fast enough.

There is no difference in the egg. It is entirely to do with economics, a hen will eat 135g of feed per day, this is fine when the hen lays 95% of the time. This will drop to 75% at this point the hen consumes the same value of feed as the value of the eggs it produces, and makes it uneconomical too keep on a large scale. This happens at around 72 weeks.

The eggs also get bigger, the supermarkets pay less for extra large eggs than they do for large. At 72 weeks i would expect to get 25% extra large with the rest mostly large, these are the eggs that the supermarkets don't want and they also takes more feed and more stress for the hen to produce.

The current oversupply of free range eggs means that the rising feed prices cannot be passed on to the customer. It is a buyers market, supermarkets can get cheaper eggs elsewhere. Egg prices are heading downwards, currently the avereage price per dozen the farmer recieves is 76 pence.

The oversupply has been brought about by the impending cage ban on the 1/1/12. The industry has readied itself by creating more free range bird places to make up production as cage units go offline.

All these issuses mean that farmers are being told to cull flocks early to reduce the oversupply. This should bring the market back into balance, and means that hens will live onto 72 weeks once more. There is talk of a hybrid bird that will be able to lay into week 100 without any breaks.

Hi Porterswood,
Would be happy to take 3 off your hands to join my other ladies. Are they cage chickens? What sort of condition are they in? And have they had any innoculations etc.. Not far from you so would be able to collect quite easily

Regards

Mark

Hi

They are free range and are quite inquistive. They are in good shape for their age. They are innoculated agaisnt salmonella and IB, i'll look out the pullet passports to let you know what strains they are vaccinated against. If you want to know more please ask.

As promised above, i have found the pullet passports and these hens have had the following vaccines:

Coccidiosis
Mareks disease
Salmonella TAD SE and TD
Gumboro disease
Infectious bronchitits primer, IB491 and IBV
Infectious Laryngotracheitis
Newcastles disease
Live TRT (Turkey Rhinotracheitis)
Epidemic Tremors
egg drop syndrome

Latest posts

Back