Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
Would it be possible to stop people posting for sale ads if for instance they have less than 5-10 posts?

Just asking as it seems people post stuff for sale on here never to be seen again. :cheers2:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Veg,I have set the for sale section to "moderate posts" so I can check them first until members decide how they want it run.

Any ideas? what about like Veg say's,users need a certain post count to start a thread in the for sale section..

Should members have donated to the forum before they can advertise Nuc's for sale/Courses they are running?

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Agree about minimum number of posts - say 20.

As for contribution how much is the question?
I say £10 is reasonable, but it covers you for a year.

More admin. for Admin.

Last edited:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Good ideas,especially about the quantity of posts, 20 or say 50, and then only from people who have donated to the forum,then a charge per advert, say £10 for nuc's, £40 per advert,per course for any kind of courses,ect.

Last edited:

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Pete

If we are just amateurs selling excess equipment then £40 per ad seems a lot.

Say I have 2 well used hives for sale - lets say £40 each.

£40 per advert. would kill the whole thing, whereas a small charge would give me a little and enabe someone to get further use out of them.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think Hivemaker was saying £40 for advertising a course and £10 to cover you for a year selling Nucs/Equipment etc.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Hi Pete,
yes as Admin says,£40 was for courses,and you have to of donated to the forum in the first place.

buzz lightyear 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Not sure that I agree about charging for course posts. Shouldn't we be promoting knowledge. That said. we dont want the forum to be hi jacked by people wanting to make a quick buck. Buzz :)

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Not sure I would want to purchase from someone who is 'New' to the site anyway.
I guess its a bit like the eBay thing. Would you buy from a person with no feedback?

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think a lot of the more successful forums have this problem and certainly I think they should have posted a minimum of say 20 posts before they can put anything in the "For Sale".

And yes a donation of some sort for an advert.

Frisbee

thurrock bees 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Good ideas,especially about the quantity of posts, 20 or say 50, and then only from people who have donated to the forum,then a charge per advert, say £10 for nuc's, £40 per advert,per course for any kind of courses,ect.
hi all, i agree with the min post/time? before people can sell stuff, however im not in agreement with a 'donation as its a fee due to being forced to do it in order to sell something, i do believe in surpporting admin in the running costs of this site, but my understanding is that a donation is not a charge or fee, forced on any one person.

TB

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi all,

With the request for donations for advertising, may I ask where the money is to be kept?
Also we see the donation to this forum is going exceptionally well. Admin do the members who have paid a donation (I have not so I'm ......) get a rundown of expencies over money paid in to the forum, to see how the money is being spent? I am sorry if this causes extra work but where money has been paid out (even in a donation form) then there should be an accountable sheet of information available to members who have donated monies.

Regards;

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi all,

With the request for donations for advertising, may I ask where the money is to be kept?
Also we see the donation to this forum is going exceptionally well. Admin do the members who have paid a donation (I have not so I'm ......) get a rundown of expencies over money paid in to the forum, to see how the money is being spent? I am sorry if this causes extra work but where money has been paid out (even in a donation form) then there should be an accountable sheet of information available to members who have donated monies.

Regards;
You cheeky b*gger!!
Donations for advertising? the donations are instead of allowing advertising on the forum,not for the forum to advertise.

I dont know of a single forum on the internet that posts the amount of donations received/costs involved.

I think you may be a little confused,you see the name of the website is beekeeping forum,notice the forum bit? now if we had a name like the bbka instead of beekeeping forum it would be beekeeping association,then we would have a committee with a treasurer who could answer your questions regards subscriptions rather than donations.

As you asked though:what I do is spend half the money on beer and save the rest to go visit jo jo sam in Bangkok every 6 months,the only other expense is the 37 pence every 5 years I have to pay out to run the server and pay for the software licence.

If any money is still left over I am going to use it to book myself into the Priory for 2 weeks for a well earned rest........

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Admin,
I'm sorry if i have offended you that was not my intention. I just thought.......... it matters not.

Sorry.

Regards;

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Most forums have advertising revenue of some sort coming in, my other major visited forum is the poultry keeper one, despite the fact that I also donate to that there are also Google adds running. Amazon for example run on a "click" system - which I don't completely understand but basically if someone on the forum clicks an Amazon ad then that click generates income, not much maybe 1p..............but if the ad click then purchases something then the income will be more.That all sounds fine but then there is a problem called "Click Fraud" where the forum asks members (or maybe doesn't ask) to click the ad to generate income with no intention to purchase. When the poultry forum first started using these ads to add income, members asked about it and were told about the click revenue........that encouraged members to click the ad and the forum was investigated for click fraud, fortunately they were cleared. But this forum because of the extra donations is running very nicely without any sort of advertising - which I think is great.
I doubt if there's actually much left over despite appearances to the contrary and since Admin puts in so much time and effort I'm non too bothered if he does spend any surplus on beer (or imaginary travels to Bankok.......ha ha) I doubt he'd be able to get drunk too often though.

Frisbee

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
If we all send only small donations (Admin. - mines in the post.........)
then I don't see the point of all this accountability. I enjoy this forum and he can do what he likes with my 2/6d.

We are all savvy enought to know that Admin does a good job and that our small contributions are well spent.

As I said in an earlier post, this sort of thing means more admin. for Admin.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If its any consolation my wife and kids say I am not allowed to go see jo jo sam and I am also teetotal.

I lack an enzyme that breaks down alcohol,I dont mind not ever having a drink but it extends to things like McDonalds as the girkin contains vinegar that poison's my system.

I am always invited to parties as most know I will drive them home :(

hedgerow pete 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
national
pete's friends have also found out that pete cant drink so i am the biggest driver of friends aswell, great part is that being sober i take lots and lots of embaressing photos of my boss/ friends whilst with jojo sam and his brother/sister??

this is how i came to get a new job this year, give me a job or the wife getts the photos , and it worked,

now the dirty subject of money,
well hedgerows views are at best subversive , i like this website and how it is run and what it has done for me, personaly i would be happy to pay a subscription to it as a private member like the jojo sam website, to be asked for donations only is to allow ridicule at times from abusers, so i pay what i can when ever i can some months like many others we have no spare cash not evan sometimes enough to get by but we always seem to, so i fully and greatfully throw cash at admin when i can and i dont care what he spends it on, wages , coffee, jojo sam, he has given me more than enough back from the small amount of money i have paided to him.

and now adverts, proffessional adverts i dont want , google any thing or what ever i dont want, to many websites go this way and then very badly loose so no thanks,
if someone whats to sell something of a personal note then why not i say, just why is it to hard for someone in todays era to slip someone some cash for a drink, a sly thanks never did any harm, as for how much why not name and shame them or evan worse we make them wear hedgerows sequined outfit for a season or on video for the ones how dont cough up or put into the forum

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
well said Pete.

you must also know this jo jo sam (man/woman ??)

they must be a good beekeeper over in Thailand.

For what it's worth, I think moderation is the best way for the for sale section, if we have to go down the charging route, then we might as well hand it over to fleabay and forget it.

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
Little did I know when I posted this thread there would be so many replies....

I just thought that it would be a good idea to stop "the unknown" seller posting items from who knows where.
At least if they have been on here a while we have something to go on when deciding whether or not they may be legitamate. :cheers2:

Latest posts