For Computer Geeks Only

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry.................:)

My email has suddenly started to send me to my in box, a copy of the email I have just sent. I haven't knowingly done anything to encourage this and I don't like it.
How can I stop it? In non computer speak only please.........:ack2:
I use Googlemail.

Thanks in advance

Frisbee

Hi Frisbee,

If you open the message in your in box and click on "show details", which appears at the top centre of the message, does the detail look convincingly real?

Are the from and to addresses as they should be, or does the from address also appear as the to address along with or without the correspondent's address that you intended?

There seem to be a number of reports of this sort of thing happening and the email not being sent to the intended address at all, which is a little bit more than just an inconvenience.

In my time I have had Google Mail go a bit beserk a couple of times, usually associated with "improvements" which have broken it, but usually within 48 hours the problem has been fixed and it's been business as normal.

I guess that you have re-started Firefox or Internet Explorer or even re-booted your computer and the phenomena is still happening. What version of Windows are you using?

Sorry I am not being a great lot of help, but the answers might help someone else to solve the problem. I'm a Linux user so don't necessarily get affected the same way as a Windows user might.

Try this Frisbee,

open google mail and select settings from the menu at the top right.

You should get a screen which looks something like my attached screenshot.

Try checking or altering some of the menu choices which save a copy of your sent messages to your inbox.

JC.

p.s. I use a mac so it might be a bit different.

Hi Frisbee,

If you open the message in your in box and click on "show details", which appears at the top centre of the message, does the detail look convincingly real?

Are the from and to addresses as they should be, or does the from address also appear as the to address along with or without the correspondent's address that you intended?

Yes all is as it should be, the recipients address is fine and mine isn't there with it. The emails have got to where they are supposed to go.

There seem to be a number of reports of this sort of thing happening and the email not being sent to the intended address at all, which is a little bit more than just an inconvenience.

No I haven't had any problems like that.

Hombre;19316I said:
guess that you have re-started Firefox or Internet Explorer or even re-booted your computer and the phenomena is still happening.

Errr no and no....................and indeed wouldn't even know how to........sorry (I can do a mean reply with quotes though :rofl:)

What version of Windows are you using?

Errr..........I did say non computer speak only..........so the answer to that question is "I don't know" Sorry again..........I haven't done any fiddling, indeed the Google homepage has changed to a wretched new design, which I briefly managed to get rid of earlier but the bu***r's back again now. The email thing started on Tuesday. I don't send a huge amount and it confused the hell out of me when I saw it in my inbox:confused:. The recipient hasn't replied, but I sent a test to a friend and it got there okay.

Thank you for your endeavours

Frisbee

Try this Frisbee,

open google mail and select settings from the menu at the top right.

You should get a screen which looks something like my attached screenshot.

Try checking or altering some of the menu choices which save a copy of your sent messages to your inbox.

JC.

p.s. I use a mac so it might be a bit different.

I have been into settings, but there's nothing obvious and as I said on the previous post I haven't been fiddling. Trouble is y'see when I see stuff like "POP enabled" I aint got a clue - even when I look in the help for the explanation I don't understand it................:confused: If there was a tick box with "send copy to yourself" I could untick it and all would be well, but there isn't :confused: I shall have to wait for my son's girlfriend to come back. I have great faith in her computer abilities :svengo:

Thanks you for your help too

Frisbee

Google homepage has changed to a wretched new design, which I briefly managed to get rid of earlier but the bu***r's back again now. The email thing started on Tuesday.
Wat, no fiddling?

Seriously, how did you get rid of the wretched new design? In Googlemail, next to the settings tab there is another tab called "Older Version". I suspect that you may have been subscribed to a Googlemail update that doesn't agree with your system.

If you were to elect, by clicking that link, then you might find that the wretched design will go away and behaviour will return to normal. Maybe not, but you can always click on the link a second time to get back to where you are at the moment if you wish.

Are you game? I have no other suggestions. For some time I used the then older version when Google broke the system for me about a year ago. Some time between then and now it was fixed and life went on. It's elusively referred to as progress!

Oh by the way, neat, real mean quoted replies :)

I go out just before 7 and return about 9.30, so any silence isn't necessarily an indication of despair. :cheers2:

Wat, no fiddling? Seriously, how did you get rid of the wretched new design? In Googlemail, next to the settings tab there is another tab called "Older Version". If you were to elect, by clicking that link, then you might find that the wretched design will go away and behaviour will return to normal. Maybe not, but you can always click on the link a second time to get back to where you are at the moment if you wish.

Nah - I was definately fiddling with that.............., but that's the Google homepage, not the Googlemail, which yes they have updated and I've discovered the tab to revert to the older, but it only lasts till you switch off. My Google homepage has interesting stuff on like Nasa's image of the day, weather forecast, this day in history etc. and for some reason a new column has appeared with chat in it. I don't know how I got rid of it, but of course it's back again now..........:confused:

I suspect that you may have been subscribed to a Googlemail update that doesn't agree with your system.

I was once offered an update for my ipod........when I first got it I was on a shared computer with my son. I painstakingly put every cd I own into the library and bought some songs from itunes. Then I got my own computer. Then I got offered the update, so I clicked yes and it promptly wiped everything from my ipod..............:toetap05: course by this time my son had deleted my songs from his library.............:toetap05: so I learnt a hard lesson and never update willingly :)

Are you game?

Is that an offer?............I could be............:drool5: :blush5::leaving:

:rofl: :rofl:

Frisbee

..., but that's the Google homepage, not the Googlemail,
I can't believe that it's different on my system, but the "Settings" and "Old version" tabs are not on the Google homepage, but the GoogleMail page.

The "Chat" sidebar appeared several months ago and as I don't use it, yes I agree that it's a real pain in the box.

I appreciate that you don't want to upset your homepage. The upgrade wouldn't necessarily be a concious one on your part because it's just a web page which is changed at their end in the interests of progress - "whoops it's broken syndrome". When you toggle between the older and newer versions, you just pass a flag which tells Google which version of the page to serve. The reason is because occasionally they get it temporarily wrong and it allows things to work one way or the other until they get it all sorted. It's there as more of a fall back option than a display preference.

Upgrades that play fast and loose with your data are really no fun. You don't have to "not particularly technical" to get it wrong. Some of it is very unintuitive and we can all be forgiven for not being acey ducey mind readers. most of the time. Some of the thinking is very obscure.

Well I seem to have been a bit of a failure in helping you with your email, but . . .
Originally Posted by Hombre
Are you game?
Originally Posted by Frisbee
Is that an offer?............I could be............
Most definitely . . . :drool5: :party: Your move!

Shame about the email problem though. Sorry. It seems that quite a number of people have suffered much the same symptoms yet there appears to be no clear answer as to the real cause or the fix. The time frame also seems more than a bit indeterminate. Most people seem to be asking questions or providing opinions, but no hard answers. i wonder if when people get it fixed they breath a sigh of relief and move on, without reporting how they fixed it.

For example, one comment:
Composed messages, replies, and forwards. Anything I send. There is another thread documenting this problem it seems, going back a couple weeks. I wonder why nobody from Google cares enough to answer it? Never mind that they don't offer any form of tech support, seems like they're just ignoring their customers' problems. At least Microsoft gave a ****..
Yup, and they called it Vista!

I stood in the rain with a big umbrella this afternoon and watched as all the girls came flying home, in over the gardens, like watching WWII fighters/bombers returning from a mission. (I've watched too many films). It was torrential when the numbers dropped near to zero, but still singletons arrived and swooped down to their appropriate hive. When the rain stopped and it brightened a little I went out to see what was going on and saw a few going out, but a wave of returners that possibly sheltered up on the return trip when the rain became too heavy.

Good luck with the email. If I spot anything that sounds hopeful, I'll let you know. :cheers2:

Is it for all emails you send or just to emails you reply to that you have sent ?

Send an email to [email protected] and see if it sends you a copy to your inbox as well as a copy in your sent folder.

I can't believe that it's different on my system, but the "Settings" and "Old version" tabs are not on the Google homepage, but the GoogleMail page.

It's in iGoogle and then you click on the "add stuff" tabs, there's a wealth of interesting and useless things

The "Chat" sidebar appeared several months ago and as I don't use it, yes I agree that it's a real pain in the box.

I went into iGoogle setting tonight and altered the English US to English UK and hey presto the chat sidebar has gone................. don't know how long for though. That's what I did yesterday to get rid of it (I remembered), but it came back when I switched back on :ack2:

Well I seem to have been a bit of a failure in helping you with your email, but . . .

Most definitely . . . :drool5: :party: Your move!

Gulp :drool5: :p :cool:

Good luck with the email. If I spot anything that sounds hopeful, I'll let you know. :cheers2:

I sent 3 to Admin and non came up in my inbox, now how odd is that? We seem to be cured (for the time being)

Thanks to you both.....oh and jc too

Frisbee

It's in iGoogle and then you click on the "add stuff" tabs, there's a wealth of interesting and useless things
Aha, I found IGoogle after you mentioned it, on the "More" then the "Even More" but don't use it. My homepage is Google.co.uk and I just hit the "Mail" tab to bring up my mail screen. The settings tab is there. We apparently use the same system, but in quite different ways. My language setting has always been "UK English".

but it came back when I switched back on
Switched off? I switched my PC off a couple of weeks ago, because I was going away for the weekend and a fan had become noisy. Prior to that the uptime was better than 90 days. Can't quite remember why I switched it off then, I think the AC power supply failed briefly.

Originally posted by Frisbee
I sent 3 to Admin and non came up in my inbox, now how odd is that? We seem to be cured (for the time being)
Call it coincidence, but your email magically became fixed about the time the working week began in the US, just after the geek that did an upgrade on Friday fixed it. If the truth were to be known, there were probably hundreds, and likely more, affected in the same way over the same period.
The reason is because occasionally they get it temporarily wrong and it allows things to work one way or the other until they get it all sorted.
In times where I have apparently had major email problems, I just walk away for 12 or 24 hours and usually it normally up fixed. No explanations of course, but that is the way it appears to work. It almost seems that is the way it has worked for you. You get to believe it or not.

Sorry about the teasing, but I just couldn't resist. It all makes for interesting reading.

Main thing is that all is fine now with your email. Hopefully Google will get on and un-f**k the weather now so the bees can get back to honey production instead of thinking about occasional swimming lessons.

Latest posts

Back