Foods/drinks to avoid before inspecting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the smell of particular foods and drinks on the breath upsetting the bees? I've had more veil-bangers than usual recently & wonder if it's a factor (coffee).
I know pear drops is a bad idea as the flavouring mimics the alarm pheromone!!
Anything else people have noticed upsets them?

I think a lot depends on your bees, I’ve never had to consider what I should or shouldn’t eat!

Not food or drink (hopefully), but I swim a fair bit, to the point where you just can't get rid of the faint aroma of chlorine and I have been wondering if they take exception to that.

James

Avoid smelling of honey. 😉 Don't inspect after applying lemongrass oil to you bait hive.

pear drops
That'll be isoamyl acetate (no pear in pear drops) aka isopentyl acetate, also released when a banana is peeled and a by-product of alcohol, a constituent of sweets and perfumes the world over, and the main chemical of the honey bee alarm pheromone.

Mine took exception to salt and vinegar crisps

I have found that the style of veil with the round broad brimmed hat and corresponding sort of “saucer” part below the veil directs one’s breath towards the comb: there is sometimes a transient flurry of wings on the comb as I breathe out. Have changed to a fencing style and it doesn’t happen now with normal breathing.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the smell of particular foods and drinks on the breath upsetting the bees? I've had more veil-bangers than usual recently & wonder if it's a factor (coffee).
I know pear drops is a bad idea as the flavouring mimics the alarm pheromone!!
Anything else people have noticed upsets them?
I find some colonies are consistently irritated by breath in general and have been told it’s carbon dioxide. Other colonies aren’t impacted. On those which are I try to breathe gently through my nose and it seems to help

I find some colonies are consistently irritated by breath in general and have been told it’s carbon dioxide. Other colonies aren’t impacted. On those which are I try to breathe gently through my nose and it seems to help
Maybe learning to not use the mouth but breathe from the other end could help?
It must be possible - I know a few on here who are adept at talking through it 😁

I find some will obligingly move when blown on, others seem upset by it.

Mine are noticeably more grouchy if I have had a curry the night before inspection

Only once after a bit too much alcohol - weather wasn’t too good raining on and off so had a lazy afternoon with a few beers. Early evening it brightened up so thought would get some inspections done (garden so no driving) a bit clumsy and a few stings settled for just one hive. Needed a drink to chill out after

Latest posts

Back