Foods/drinks to avoid before inspecting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the smell of particular foods and drinks on the breath upsetting the bees? I've had more veil-bangers than usual recently & wonder if it's a factor (coffee).
I know pear drops is a bad idea as the flavouring mimics the alarm pheromone!!
Anything else people have noticed upsets them?

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I think a lot depends on your bees, I’ve never had to consider what I should or shouldn’t eat!

JamezF

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not food or drink (hopefully), but I swim a fair bit, to the point where you just can't get rid of the faint aroma of chlorine and I have been wondering if they take exception to that.

James

Beebe

Survivor bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Owned by ten
Avoid smelling of honey. 😉 Don't inspect after applying lemongrass oil to you bait hive.

Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have found that the style of veil with the round broad brimmed hat and corresponding sort of “saucer” part below the veil directs one’s breath towards the comb: there is sometimes a transient flurry of wings on the comb as I breathe out. Have changed to a fencing style and it doesn’t happen now with normal breathing.

Mamahilz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the smell of particular foods and drinks on the breath upsetting the bees? I've had more veil-bangers than usual recently & wonder if it's a factor (coffee).
I know pear drops is a bad idea as the flavouring mimics the alarm pheromone!!
Anything else people have noticed upsets them?
I find some colonies are consistently irritated by breath in general and have been told it’s carbon dioxide. Other colonies aren’t impacted. On those which are I try to breathe gently through my nose and it seems to help

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I find some colonies are consistently irritated by breath in general and have been told it’s carbon dioxide. Other colonies aren’t impacted. On those which are I try to breathe gently through my nose and it seems to help
Maybe learning to not use the mouth but breathe from the other end could help?
It must be possible - I know a few on here who are adept at talking through it 😁

Latest posts