Food Grade Paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees-in-Art

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone know of a food grade paint for extraction equipment? One for metal and one for wood? Or preferably one for both?

Thanks,

Andrew

If you are asking this question you have I regret to say equipment which can only be used for home consumption of the product.

If your kit is tinplate then you cannot sell the honey to the public.

PH

No, it's for a press which is very certainly made of iron. I suppose I could just burn off the existing paint and use it paintless.

Andrew

No 'paint' is regarded as food grade from a food industry perspective because at some point it can and will flake off causing a physical foreign body contamination issue as well as the original chemical contamination issue that I think you were thinking about. There is painted equipment but not on direct food contact or gravity indirect surfaces (or should not be anyway!)

Where old iron and steel equipment is still used (because of 'tradition' or construction requirements) it is normal to use a very light low flavour profile vegetable oil wipe (sunflower is idea - dont use rape) to protect the surface. This may, without control, cause you issues of rancidity taint of course. Professionally oil protection is acompanied by routine and thorough hygiene systems to remove 'used' oil and replace with 'fresh' before raancidity taint can occur, or if there is prolonged equipment storage, before next use.

couldnt you dip coat it. i was looking into this for an old extractor i was thinking of buying. it would have cost 80 euro to have it dipcoated which is good enough for food grade.

I don't know the make of the press, but it's a bit like an apple press without the housing. Also has three 'ribbed' planks of wood, between which the comb is placed for pressing. It's currently covered in some sort of green paint that's rubbing off with a finger (obviously has to go). I've found food grade paints with Google, but they appear to be for floors and walls in commercial kitchens etc. So I'll stick with the taking it back to the metal - I don't like the sound of flaking anyway. I have considered having it enameled but that would probably be costly and may even be impossible.

What's dip coat, newportbuzz? That sounds interesting though?

Thanks,

Andrew

How about getting it galvanised? Would that be ok for foodgrade use?

Have it sand-blasted to remove all the old paint,then either use it as is,or get it vitreous-enamelled (expensive but definitely food-grade until it gets chipped)...

But for the two recent posters, neither solution is really a good one.

Galvanised? Yeah, right. Acidic honey on zinc...

Vitrous enamel that can get chipped? No thank you. An expensive remedy that cannot be relied upon.

A new stainless steel cage is a better route. And while you are at it replace the drum....

Then the question arises as to the fecundity of the operating parts....

Get a new food grade extractor is the best advice, unless you are the only consumer of the product from it.

RAB it's a honey press not an extractor:gnorsi:

So are you saying because it is a press the regs don't matter

I was taught (years ago,it is true,so correct me if it has changed) that if an item COMES INTO CONTACT with food it must be made of (only):
Stainless steel
Food-Grade plastic
Ceramic (including unchipped vitreous enamel)
So if somehow nothing actually touches the food,it doesn't matter what it is made of or covered by.

Some BKAs use apple presses as honey presses, some are quite old.

I was taught (years ago,it is true,so correct me if it has changed) that if an item COMES INTO CONTACT with food it must be made of (only):
Stainless steel
Food-Grade plastic
Ceramic (including unchipped vitreous enamel)
So if somehow nothing actually touches the food,it doesn't matter what it is made of or covered by.

Wood is still used, and also lead.

just because some things are still used doesn't make it right the people still using them dont have up to date info. If in doubt contact environmental health they will have the info you need. Nick B is I think right as that is what I was told by the environmental health person that visited me.
You can use whatever you like for your OWN consumption but when giving it away or selling then strict rules apply and rightly so.

Latest posts

Back