Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Should anyone doubt what we are up against, or have any doubts about the morals of those that I refer to as "the forces of darkness"
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/380.html

sorry for the double post, tried to embed the video, but made a Horlicks of it!

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
It was too American, and too sensationalist, but the innate truth of what the likes of Monsanto are up to makes it bearable and worthwhile - they're after domination of the entire food chain...........:svengo:

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
We are wiser now than 50 years or 100 years ago. The food was quite miserable in those good days.

I was born 1947. My children and their school friends are 10 cm taller than my generation. They have had better food than me.

I cannot see, why our food would be worse than before.

Everyone of us is able to read and research what we eate. We have alternatives. Half of Irish folk moved to America or to heaven when potato got potato blight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Potato_Famine.

Last edited:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
But should these crop scientists be allowed to kill everything that stands in there way regarding wildlife,just to dominate the food chain,and make them mega rich.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
-particularly for "Hivemaker", but hopefully of interest to everyone
I've posted extensively on this on other fora - rather than do a load of cut and pasting, I think the best explanation I've seen lately of the problems of modern farming, and a sensible route for us to take was in a recent edition of "Natural World" - here's a link to a newspaper article that explains "the gist"
http://tinyurl.com/bzf38l

I was born in 1949 - in those days most fruit and veg contained levels of vitamins and minerals several TIMES higher than those found nowadays in factory farmed "food".............

Last edited:

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
-
I was born in 1949 - in those days most fruit and veg contained levels of vitamins and mineral several TIMES higher than those found nowadays in factory farmed "food".............

Heh heh, shake bees!

Last edited:

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just popping under the stairs to look for my tin helmet.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
hate to tell you, it is actually a fact..........there have been several studies which show that modern varieties and growing methods mean that the nutrient levels contained in modern fruit and veg is a lot lower than it was in the 50's.

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I was reading the other day that omega3 is lost on freezing so has to be added back to frozen food such as fish fingers.

My kids have been on Omega3 tablets and multi vits every day for the last 3 years,you can tell if they miss a day.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
hate to tell you, it is actually a fact..........there have been several studies which show that modern varieties and growing methods mean that the nutrient levels contained in modern fruit and veg is a lot lower than it was in the 50's.
In those days basic problem was how to store food and how to transport it.

Brosville, do you know what are the nutrient levels in fruits and vegetables?

And what vegetables you ate in England 50 years ago during winter?
And what fruits?
How they stay fresh during marine trip. Did you got tomatoes from Spain in those days?

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
When I was a lad we had spuds as fruit!

I was lucky living near the docks as we always had fresh bananas and oranges,a boxfull at a time ;)

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Ha, you were lucky Admin,when i was a lad we lived in a shoe box at the bottom of a lake,and we considered ourselves lucky,our neighbours lived in an empty flower pot. we was only paid a farthing a month,but we was happy.

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I was so poor that I had school shoes made of paper mache and if it rained I had to stay home.

We only had a candle for heat and every christmas used to light it.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
When I was young I was fortunate in growing up on a nursery, nowadays it would be called "organic" - no artificial chemicals were used at all, relying instead on horse muck, and nicotine shreds as an insecticide. We also had what I suppose you'd call a kitchen garden, kept chicken free-range, and probably did quite well in comparison to other people at the time (rationing was still very much in operation) - I still awake with a shudder at the memory of "Cod-liver oil and malt" and "National Health Orange Juice", which were dished out to the public in attempt to bolster what could be a pretty frugal diet (I was rather partial to "Delrosa" Rose-hip syrup though, which contains loads of vitamin C). In those days there was a load of "bottling" of fruit for winter use, along with jam-making - winter veg were things like spuds, cabbage, kale, sprouts, swede, turnips
The fact remains that the tomatoes my Dad grew contained far more nutrients that the modern bags of chemicalised water - the problem as you say in the 50's was getting them to people in sufficient quantities, ..... they were generally much slower growing, lower yielding than modern varieties, and were grown on soil that still had "crop rotation" practiced so that minerals were not depleted in the way that they are now.
There have been several studies and newspaper articles here in the UK about the lower nutrient levels in modern food in recent years, I thought it was "common knowledge". Another interesting thing is that chicken used to be known as a really healthy meat - it was lean, and had very little fat - as several recent TV programmes have shown all too graphically, modern broiler chicken are "fat bombs", being full of unhealthy fats due to the way they have been bred and reared........

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Candle, a candle,luxury, we had to rub two sticks together to keep warm,if we could find any dry one's in the lake where we lived.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Shouldnt you lot be somewhere !!!!

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
In those days there was no such thing as "organic" - they just didn't use chemicals........ I remember they used the nicotine shreds to fumigate the greenhouses between crops! The other "joy" were the coal-fired boilers in pits at the end of the houses that heated them using 5" cast iron pipes that ran round the inside - the pits had to be pumped out with a hand pump after heavy rain!

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Frozen vegetables have more vitamin C than most so called fresh ones you buy in the shop, because they lose it everyday they are picked.

Latest posts