fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennycreed

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8?
Hi, makin fondant, does anybody know what the wee drop of vinegar in the mix is for,,cheers from a guy making door stops and burning sugar Ah'll get it right yet

Is anyone brave enough to do a video of making fondant ?

Not that much to show on a video?

Dissolve with heat.
Boil off excess water until boiling point rises to appropriate temperature.
Cool with stirring, until setting commences.
Pour into receptacles before it becomes unpourable.

End of job.

All the rest of additions, of this or that, and precise ratios, precise boiling temperature are all down to individual preferences and absolute accuracy of equipment - which may not be that accurate in the case of cheaper thermometers, etc.

Regards, RAB

Will that not set like a brick Rab ?

I never have a problem with fondant,I just pick up the phone and it arrives on a Thursday from the bakery supplier :blush5:

my thermometer disolved in the mix, there was just the glass bit left sitting on the bottom of the pan, I don't know where the rest went

Hi Kenny. On the grounds that it didn't escape, I would imagine that you have quite an interesting fondant cocktail. Handle with care! I wouldn't bank on the bees enjoying it too much either.

Will that not set like a brick?

Admin,

Depends on minor additions and final boiling point, as far as I know.

I, too, simply drop in to a bakers' suppliers (Friar's Pride) and hand over my money in exchange for the goodies.

Regards, RAB

Will that not set like a brick Rab ?

I never have a problem with fondant,I just pick up the phone and it arrives on a Thursday from the bakery supplier :blush5:

:iamwithstupid:

Not worth my time or effort to be making my own. + Hassle form OH for clearing up.

Same with most other things considering your time V time spent at work to make 100 times £ more than you save making XY or Z.

Hi Kenny. On the grounds that it didn't escape, I would imagine that you have quite an interesting fondant cocktail. Handle with care! I wouldn't bank on the bees enjoying it too much either.

I had to throw it out there was a hell of a smell of it, hope i'm back at sea before the wife starts looking for her thermometer

RAB - I checked the FPride website for bakers' fondant - they don't seem to be too well set up to take orders on line. I assume that an account is necessary. One of their sales bods is going to call me back (maybe, still waiting). Interested to see if it would be worth my while (notwithstanding courier costs). Could you perhaps PM me with more details? While not wishing to reopen the BF supplier debate, PM's advising of any other member's 'best value' supplier would be appreciated.

Bako - if you phone them beforehand and say you are a beekeeper they let you buy at trade price. I collected as I was passing.
Not sure about sales over the net.

Black art's not the word for it, the only things I'v got black is the pans and my patience and frustrations. What I ended up with is definately NOT! sugar, and definately NOT! plastic. The colour is a kind of bilious yellow with a fearful smell. I think that it metamorphed into something that might be of use to them in the space program. That's it! I'v burnt three pans and have no more sugar left,,WHERE CAN I BUY FONDANT ??

From your local baker on Lewis.
Take a jar of honey with you and ask him to add a tenner on the bill for himself,he should be paying £8 - £11 per box(I say £11 as you are an island.)

Black art's not the word for it, the only things I'v got black is the pans and my patience and frustrations. What I ended up with is definately NOT! sugar, and definately NOT! plastic. The colour is a kind of bilious yellow with a fearful smell. I think that it metamorphed into something that might be of use to them in the space program. That's it! I'v burnt three pans and have no more sugar left,,WHERE CAN I BUY FONDANT ??

It's no black art, just a matter of using a decent jam thermometer to keep the temperature bang on, stirring and timing carefully. Easy peasy.
C

Could you perhaps PM me with more details? While not wishing to reopen the BF supplier debate, PM's advising of any other member's 'best value' supplier would be appreciated.

Nothing special in getting it, usualy just mentioning bees gets peeople intrested in it.

Most local cake shops/bakers type places will have it, £10 -£12 will get you a 12kg block. No need for postage.

Latest posts

Back