fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have not fed the bees this year due to medical problems and just ordered some fondant. It seems quite solid so should I soften it somehow?Thanks

I have not fed the bees this year due to medical problems and just ordered some fondant. It seems quite solid so should I soften it somehow?Thanks
Ive been storing mine outside in a shed and I've been bringing it into the honey room for 24hrs before I make fondant boards, which helps to soften it a bit.

Would the amount of fondant intake depend on how cold it is, or the amount of stores?

In other years, my colonies didn’t seem to take much fondant, until around new year. Which I assumed was due to them not wanting to leave the cluster in cold temperatures and/or having enough stores.

This year it’s been milder, but one hive has nearly finished a pack of fondant already, and it was only added at Halloween.

First question is “do they need it?” If they don’t, the OP’s question is irrelevant. They may need fondant if short of stores after about the middle of February, but not now if they are well stocked.

Would the amount of fondant intake depend on how cold it is, or the amount of stores?
This year it’s been milder, but one hive has nearly finished a pack of fondant already, and it was only added at Halloween.
Probably because they don't 'need' it so, as it's still mild enough for them to forage for water, they've been storing it.

Latest posts

Back