Fondant...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
They're a little light, I'm not sure when pollen starts to flow again so was looking at giving them something a little extra...all I have is fondant icing though (the Tesco variety). Will it kill them if they take it? Or if it's bad for them, are they likely to just not take it?

(if they didn't need it, and I'm just being overcautious, would they just leave it anyway?)

no i would not feed them anything thats not sugar and water! Don't worry to much about pollen as that's mainly for the brood. The above has too many ingredients

dont use it mate. Normally the fondant that is used has water, sugar and glucose in it.

Ok ta. How long till I don't need to worry so much about food?

totally depends on the weather bees can starve in the so called summer time if the weather is bad and they dont get out. You will need to keep a close eye on them over the next few months, as they start to rear more and more brood their food requirements will shoot up.

Sugar,Glucose Syrup ,Palm Oil ,Humectant (Glycerine) ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose) ,Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) ,Flavouring

(http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250535664)

Actually, it won't harm your bees in the least. (Source - Terry Clare BIBBA - he uses it in queen rearing.)
Whether or not you choose to boycott Palm Oil is up to you, but it ain't easy!

The main reason against using Tesco's fondant is cost.

"Bakers' Fondant" (actually Bako White Fondant) is about £1/kilo - but you have to buy it in 12.5 kg boxes, and through a friendly baker.
If you need fondant in Spring, you'll need plural kilos - so it does make sense to get the big pack (unless you decide that you need it today - when you should get down to Tesco immediately).

I don't reckon to trust weighing (let alone hefting) wooden hives to be absolutely accurate, because the wood does seem to take up a bit of water... and any weight that you have that is water is going to make you wrongly complacent about the amount of stores remaining.
So when you get a decently warm day (as sometimes happens in Feb), take a look and see if you still have any "heavy frames". You shouldn't even need to pull them right out - but some frame-by-frame hefting will give you a pretty good idea of what stores remain.
I reckon you want to see 5 to 10 kg of stores remaining.
The concern is that once brood rearing starts, the rate of consumption increases drastically, and things can get dangerously empty quite suddenly.

Over-feeding makes for problems (fun) for the beekeeper (needing to act to prevent early swarming), but under-feeding risks the survival of the colony. So, I think its better to err on the side of generosity. For the hobby beek, its a tiny expense. The commercial operator would try to be cleverer!

In fact there are a lot of Es in it, funny how manufactures of food products choose to put the name of the chemicals rather than the e numbers, I'm not saying it's not safe to use but I wouldn't personally.

In fact there are a lot of Es in it, funny how manufactures of food products choose to put the name of the chemicals rather than the e numbers, I'm not saying it's not safe to use but I wouldn't personally.

Well would you rather have E300, Ascorbic Acid or Vitamin C?
All exactly the same thing.
But where the name is commonly known, its probably clearer to use the name.

"E Numbers" are allocated to food additives that have been passed as human-safe in all EU countries. If they haven't been unanimously approved, they don't get a number.
If it hasn't got a number, it hasn't got all-Europe approval.

Xanthan Gum is a pretty harmless material, used in trace quantities (like 0.5%) as a thickener. Its actually made from sugar ... It'll be there so that the product can be made a little softer, more pliable, without dribbling like some folks' fondant.
Tesco fondant is pretty harmless stuff. In my eyes, much less harmful than using a hive painted with creosote (soaked in it actually is what used to happen), or used engine oil, as someone was proposing on another thread...

Well would you rather have E300, Ascorbic Acid or Vitamin C?
All exactly the same thing.
But where the name is commonly known, its probably clearer to use the name.

"E Numbers" are allocated to food additives that have been passed as human-safe in all EU countries. If they haven't been unanimously approved, they don't get a number.
If it hasn't got a number, it hasn't got all-Europe approval.

Xanthan Gum is a pretty harmless material, used in trace quantities (like 0.5%) as a thickener. Its actually made from sugar ... It'll be there so that the product can be made a little softer, more pliable, without dribbling like some folks' fondant.
Tesco fondant is pretty harmless stuff. In my eyes, much less harmful than using a hive painted with creosote (soaked in it actually is what used to happen), or used engine oil, as someone was proposing on another thread...

I agree that most are harmless but They can have adverse affects on humans if consumed in quantities and cocktails. I would not give a child some certain sweets unless you intend to go bald overnight, and most parents would agree.
I'm not a lover of processed foods and I think that most nutritionists would agree and vitamin C is far better obtained from a natural product like an orange.
If fondant is made correctly it will be supple and with a bit of practice this can be mastered. It is always best to prepare for winters and not leave things to chance.
Used motor oils are highly toxic, mechanics are advised not to let these oils come in contact with your skin and most reputable garages supply gloves as part of their PPE

I think that there should be an E number for water, just to make it impossible for food resellers to claim that their products are free of E numbers...

I think that there should be an E number for water, just to make it impossible for food resellers to claim that their products are free of E numbers...

I remember a sign in a Posh London Restaurant that read...
all the water in this establishment has been passed by the management...​

My job was to empty the ashtrays!:spy:

Latest posts

Back