Fondant question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have put some fondant on my hive as there wasnt much in the way of stores. But I was wondering what happens to it - do the bees convert it into stores in each cell or just eat it from the pack? If it gets converted and put in the cells, does 1kg fondant = 1kg of stores?

This time of year they will convert it into stores, a kilo of fondant is more or less a kilo of sugar. Why aren't you giving them sugar syrup? I guess you're probably paying through the nose for fondant

This time of year they will convert it into stores, a kilo of fondant is more or less a kilo of sugar. Why aren't you giving them sugar syrup? I guess you're probably paying through the nose for fondant
Interesting question that.
I have a colony which had apiguard during August. Put thymolated syrup on in early September and they wouldn't touch it. I have now taken it of and given them fondant. I will find out tomorrow if they are taking that but I suspect it's the thymol in the apiguard which has put them of it ?

actually not expensive as it was a gift

Can’t be any more expensive than buying sugar

Can’t be any more expensive than buying sugar
if you get a deal with Bako or a local baker, maybe not - probably about a tenner for 12.5 kilos but buy it one Ebay (twenty quid including postage) or with a pretty picture of a bee on from a beekeeping supplier, maybe even more.

75p/kg is about right ordering a decent quantity from a big supplier.
I have been feeding some of my outlying colonies with fondant this year and after working out the costs of collecting sugar from the cash and carry, mixing and humping great quantities of water around the countryside I've decided having fondant delivered then placing onto queen excluders is so much easier!

75p/kg is about right ordering a decent quantity from a big supplier.
I have been feeding some of my outlying colonies with fondant this year and after working out the costs of collecting sugar from the cash and carry, mixing and humping great quantities of water around the countryside I've decided having fondant delivered then placing onto queen excluders is so much easier!

Same here Neil, it's saving all the driving around.
On to making some foundation now, you ever tried it?
I either want to make a silicone mold or buy one.
What are your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back