Fondant or something else for queen rearing in mini nucs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Evening last year I used syrup and then fondant later in the season for queen rearing in mini nucs.
Is it going to be better if I use something with added protein instead?
Interested to know what folk use maybe those beeks that rear 50+ queen's, and your results would be good to know pm me if you like.
Thanks
C. G. F

Evening last year I used syrup and then fondant later in the season for queen rearing in mini nucs.
Interested to know what folk use maybe those beeks that rear 50+ queen's, and your results would be good to know pm me if you like.
Thanks
C. G. F
Fondant is just as good as that candypolene stuff, damp sugar or syrup can be used but personally I'd only go down that route if I've not got any Fondant.
Syrup in the feeders of the mini plus hives as they've got a suitable feeder.

Thanks
C. G. F
Can't see you needing added protein in your location (or anywhere else that queen rearing is viable for that matter).

Can not see the need for extra protein in a mini nuc/mating Nuc. Limited demand for it from the small amounts of brood and plenty of pollen about at the time it's in use. Can see the benefit of boosting protein availability during cell building stage but not mating.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back