Fondant full !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Took the opportunity today to examine the brood. Average 4 frames per hive with strong evidence of Queen activity.

Have over wintered well and fed fondant when needed. The bees have storeswell of at least 7 super frames per hive.

I know it is slightly early but am seeking advice. How do I avoid mixing fondant stores with honey that will be set aside by the bees.

I intend to stop feeding and considering removing super frames of stores to replace with undrawn foundation.

Any other advice very gratefully received, absorbed and utilised.

Thanks all.

I understand that they'll eat fondant over stores 'cos it's easier but they don't store the fondant.

R2

What are the present stores? Proper real honey or sugar-honey?

Location, type of hive and other detail might help in getting pertinent advice.

They obviously do not need extra fondant at this present time, so just remove it now, not sometime when.

The bees have storeswell of at least 7 super frames per hive.

Thanks all.

not good. In early Spring hives should have room for brood and pollen.
2 full frames food should be enough. There are food in brood frames too.

Mad feeders......

Some bees do store fondant.
An early inspection is worthwhile as it's possible that they have so much stores that the queen has no room to lay.

Probably didn't explain too well. I think that hives have almost full stores of sugar honey from syrup and fondant. I think I have over fed during winter break There is still room to lay and I am not too concerned about activities of Queen.

I am trying to avoid mixing current stores with honey which will come on during next few months flow. I,m after a bit of guidance over what to do with super as it stands at moment. seems like a good idea to remove stores and replace with open comb. Using stores as necessary when I need to feed later.

Or.. The purpose of my query. Are there any other good ideas I am not familiar with that are in the beekeeping ether.

Thanks

You cleared very well that the hive has too much stores.
And that need no ideas, because take extra stores off. That is so simple.
If you try to avoid that fact, it is your choice.

That the hive has too much stores in Spring, it is very usual.

Swarm intalling is one chance to get rid off winter food frames.
You give to a swarm or to artificial swarm 4 frames of food and 6 frames foundations.
After a week food is consumed and combs drawn.

A swarm neeeds to be 2kg.

Wait until its a bit warmer / reliable weather and Demaree the super in question having bruised the cappings. Let them use it up or move it to the brood box. Only then super. Alternatively remove and retain for later feed purposes.

... I think that hives have almost full stores of sugar honey from syrup and fondant. I think I have over fed during winter break There is still room to lay and I am not too concerned about activities of Queen.

I am trying to avoid mixing current stores with honey which will come on during next few months flow. I,m after a bit of guidance over what to do with super as it stands at moment. seems like a good idea to remove stores and replace with open comb. Using stores as necessary when I need to feed later.

Or.. The purpose of my query. Are there any other good ideas I am not familiar with that are in the beekeeping ether.

It sounds as though you have over-wintered on brood and a half.

Giving the bees an empty (drawn comb) super above the brood area, this early, is probably rather too early.

Its not clear whether you want to keep brood-and-a-half through summer.
If you do, then leaving well alone (for now at least) seems sensible.
The bees should be very unlikely to move *capped* stores to a different location in the hive.
If you want to encourage consumption of particular stores, gentle bruising to uncap, a bit at a time, should steer the bees in that direction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back