Fondant feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
If you think the colony needs a feed please feed it and not play with it.

Report after report talks about a kilo, two kilos like this is a huge amount.

It's NOT.

Would you expect a cow to manage for months on a small bale of hay?

If you don't know cows the answer is NO, you would feed a half bale a day.

If you are feeding in autumn or winter feed, feed heavily, not play at it.

If you want to give a good going colony fondant at this time then you are looking at a block of at least 6kg preferably 10. Any left over can be turned into spring syrup so dinna fear waste there is none.

So.........the message is FEED HEAVILY. Better safe than sorry.

PH

And also weighing up the cost of feed (fondant) @ about £12 for 12kg, is it worth loosing a colony for £12? I dont think so, so stick a slab on, if they dont use it, turn it into thin syrup for them in the spring.

I always put 2.5 or 5.0 kgs on at a time then keep an eye on the position and renew if necessary. Can use the ekes I use for apiguard treatment then. Hasn't been a problem up to now.
Peter

I have been giving mine fondant but having trouble giving it to them correctly. Next year I think I will use an empty super. I think Poly Hive mentioned this in another post. So far this year I have been stuck with putting it on the floor which is not ideal.

Thanks for that I would have been down the playing at it route, but for your post bee-smillie.
So, is one big piece or a couple of smaller slabs best, I was thinking of less air space etc. with a small eke for the two piece idea. Read about newspaper ontop, to help insulating.
My hives went into winter well fed, I think !, but as you say can't do any harm ?

Tidymeup
How on earth have u managed to put fondant on the floor? Slide it in through the entrance? Lift the brood box? I'm intrigued.

Eb

I just lifted the brood box off the floor and slapped a good chunk on the floor. Much easier with a couple of people.

If you can lift very gently then the bees won't bother.

I just lifted the brood box off the floor and slapped a good chunk on the floor. Much easier with a couple of people.

If you can lift very gently then the bees won't bother.

Do you not have any spare supers/ekes?

Ben P

Surely putting the fondant on the floor is going to end up with it covered in dead bees and faeces - particularly after this spell of cool weather?

Perhaps but I the last lot disappeared in a few days. It's not ideal but so far it has worked. Although I won't be in a rush to do it again.

Latest posts

Back