Fondant feeding with super on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniblack13

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I am looking for a little bit of advice, I decided to leave a super on two of my hives this year through winter. I think they will have enough to keep them going but if I needed to give them some fondant, would you suggest putting it in an eke above or below the super?

Many thanks in ad

If needed, I’d put it on top of them. If they’re in the bottom box - between the boxes, if they’re already in the top box - on top.

Make sure it’s needed though. If they have stores on the super on top, they’re likely to come up during the winter months.

Make sure it’s needed though. If they have stores on the super on top, they’re likely to come up during the winter months.
:iagree:weigh them using luggage scales or heft using the three finger rule.
Or just heft with your hand..
If you left a whole super they should be good.. February, March time is the time to worry more so about stores.
What did they weigh going into winter?
Heft nailed to the floor?

Thanks for your responses. Yes, QE was removed. I think they will be fine for now, I left them both 3/4 of a super. I was more curious about the placement of the fondant should I need to give them some. I think I’ll check them towards the beginning of Feb and place fondant in above the cluster dependant upon where it is at the time, does that sound about right?

Thanks for your responses. Yes, QE was removed. I think they will be fine for now, I left them both 3/4 of a super. I was more curious about the placement of the fondant should I need to give them some. I think I’ll check them towards the beginning of Feb and place fondant in above the cluster dependant upon where it is at the time, does that sound about right?
If there hefting heavy enough then yes.
I can't judge without knowing or seeing or hefting your hive. Beekeepers call I'm afraid.
They will be working up in the super by February.

A quick peek or heft will tell you if there’s stores in the super if there is atm there is no need for the fondant and fondant really works best when it’s in contact with the bees. So only really worth adding if they are at the top of the super. In that case they probably would need it as well. Ian

Latest posts

Back