Fondant dripping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Has anyone any experience of fondant dripping syrup, I made up some fondant a couple of weeks ago, it's set OK, and by OK I mean that it is firm to the touch and retains shape, it isn't however something that is like marzipan, e.g. totally flexible and mouldable, it's a bit more granular. when you leave it out to feed on the crown board it has a small amount of syrup coming out of the edges?
I haven't needed to feed fondant before, so not sure what to expect with it. am I worrying about nothing, or should good fondant never ooze a bit of syrup. i don't want it to become a mess in the hive if it gets bad.
Help and advice is very appreciated.

Has anyone any experience of fondant dripping syrup, I made up some fondant a couple of weeks ago, it's set OK, and by OK I mean that it is firm to the touch and retains shape, it isn't however something that is like marzipan, e.g. totally flexible and mouldable, it's a bit more granular. when you leave it out to feed on the crown board it has a small amount of syrup coming out of the edges?
I haven't needed to feed fondant before, so not sure what to expect with it. am I worrying about nothing, or should good fondant never ooze a bit of syrup. i don't want it to become a mess in the hive if it gets bad.
Help and advice is very appreciated.

The ambrosia fondant I put on does this. I had the varroa board in for a few days and found drips of fondant on the board underneath. High levels of moisture in the hive ?

The ambrosia fondant I put on does this. I had the varroa board in for a few days and found drips of fondant on the board underneath. High levels of moisture in the hive ?

It does the same in the house, if you leave it on the worktop, after a number of hours it has an amount of firm syrup under it oozing out of the small hole and congregating on the edges of it.

I've just phoned a wholesaler of bakers fondant and it's not much more than the cost of the sugar I need to use, so may well in future play it safe and use that instead, I've heard may people do this.

Hmmm looking back through other threads this might be a problem for bees getting stuck / drowned.

If the temp gets up this week I think I'll open the hive remove the fondant and wrap in clingfilm with holes.

leave it out to feed on the crown board

Don't do it then!

First, do the bees need it now?

Place fondant in a plastic container and cover with clingfilm (or even thicker plastic sheet, if you must) A couple of slits (or maybe slots, if stiff sheet) for the bees to access the fondant and it should be fine. Well, likely fine.

I pack around and/or over the fondant box with insulation so it is relatively easy to change later on, when almost empty (tranparent or translucent box?).

Maybe one per cent or less extra moisture in the fondant makes a large cost saving over several tons of sugar???? Times are hard for some of the suppliers!!

Fondant ( any fondant) is hygroscopic and will attract water. That water will be absorbed onto the surface of the fondant and make it runny.

I agree with O90O comments. Even with his fondant contained it will still attract some of that water and will run - only his will be confined in his plastic container and cling film!
If its not needed at present why use it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back