Fondant DIY

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbySwords

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm trying to make homemade fondant. I'm now making my forth batch and hope this will be the "one".
My question just now is if I can use the first 3 batches which resulted in platters as hard as rock. Can I give these to the girls? Perhaps I can melt them again?

Any help greatly appreciated,
D

Yes. I did.
Remelt and add more water..

I eventually get it right and have killed few if any bees as a result :)

I would bear in mind HMF levels will only increase on reheating. If small batches, dissolution for a syrup feed may be better than using it again and again for attempted conversion to fondant.

There may be something on the net regarding the rate of increase of HMF content, but I would simply err on the safe side.

although i doubt BAKO deliver there (and certainly not for small irregular orders)!!!!

and not sure if iced fingers and belgian buns are popular in scandanavia!!!!

I'd give up and ask your local baker to source you some, about £12 for a 12kg block, not much more than the price of sugar.

I'm beginning to think along those lines.
Batch 4 is not as hard but crumbly. Recipe under. Have the wrong temps? Should I get e texture like Apifond.

1 liter water
4 kg sugar
100g glucose syrup

1 boil water melt syrup in it
2 add all suger bring to heat 116 'c
3 stir occationally while cooling until texture is relatively thick
4 place on table top and knead until cool.

Batch 4 is not as hard but crumbly. Recipe under. Have the wrong temps? Should I get e texture like Apifond.

1 liter water
4 kg sugar
100g glucose syrup

-- the idea is to get tiny crystals out of the solution. So cool it until it begins to crystallise, then stir/beat/fold as vigorously as you can, while simultaneously cooling as hard as you can.

-- my (limited) experience, but with a calibrated thermometer, is that 116 is slightly too far. Going to a lower boiling point is going to leave you a wetter result.

-- the glucose has a number of effects. One is to upset the sucrose crystallisation by simply getting in the way. Honey has a much higher Glucose content. Adding more shouldn't do any harm. But its expensive if bought in 140g tubes of syrup. 500g of Glucose powder in the health food shop was cheaper than 140g syrup in the supermarket. Caterers and confectioners buy syrup in BIG tubs much more cheaply, but the health food shop (Holland & Barratt) was fine for the price/quantity/convenience compromise.
While I was there, I also bought 500g of Fructose. It too is in honey, and has the useful property of attracting water (it is 'hygroscopic') and needs to be kept in a sealed container unless you want it to turn itself into syrup.

-- lower BP, more Glucose, plus added Fructose gave me a nice mix. Definitely on the firm side of 'gloopy', a stiff enough paste that it wouldn't run away too quickly under its own weight. The bees were happy with it (even if they didn't need it) whereas they just ignored the harder product of the standard recipe (I presume they needed to add more water than they could afford to do anything with it).

I recycled my first efforts by heating in a low oven (less than 100C) to redissolve. No reboiling needed (so I can't tell you what the BP of my mix ended up at), just stirring in quite small quantities of water and the Glucose & Fructose, warm it again, stir, warm and repeat until adequately dissolved, or bored. Cool and beat hard whenever it starts to crystallise.
Nice white product and the bees survived it!

I wondered about using the kitchen mixer for the stirring, but I don't want to risk burning it out!

Last edited:
I would bear in mind HMF levels will only increase on reheating. If small batches, dissolution for a syrup feed may be better than using it again and again for attempted conversion to fondant.

There may be something on the net regarding the rate of increase of HMF content, but I would simply err on the safe side.
The temperature for fondant is 240F , this temperature maintained for any length of time would increase HMF to danger levels if the sugar used were fructose . Granulated sugar is sucrose !
VM

I gave up after one try and went to the local bakers.

My question just now is if I can use the first 3 batches which resulted in platters as hard as rock.
Cover with chocolate and give them away at Halloween.

feed it to your girls!

try feeding it to your bees

1 liter water
4 kg sugar
100g glucose syrup

I have gone into great detail on the thread 'Bakers Fondant' about getting the right temperature..........the sugar should be boiled to 'soft ball' stage. Sugar thermometers are at best hopelessly inaccurate for fine detail. I explain how to find soft ball stage by dripping some of the mix into a bowl of cold water and then following it with your fingers, if it disappears into the water then it's not boiled enough, soft ball produces.....ahem a soft ball, that you can roll around in your fingers. The mixture needs to be occasionally stirred during boiling, it needs to be stirred a lot before it comes to the boil to ensure all the sugar crystals are dissolved. It sounds like you boiled yours to the hard ball stage, which is what a lot of candy sweets are boiled to.

Add a small amount of water and heat slowly to dissolve, don't boil, but then cool and follow the stir while cooling procedure.

An inadequate amount of glucose produces a grainy fondant.

Frisbee

Frisbees recipe (in the stickies) works fine for me.

My top tip - make a large batch ( I usually use 6kg sugar). The larger the mass, the slower the temperature rises. With smaller batches, the temperature can easily shoot past the soft ball stage resulting in over hard fondant as described above. YMMV

I'm now retiring from the fondant making business. I could not get it soft enough. I suspect my thermometer is doddgy. I'm going to buy Apifond which is twice the price of sugar here in Sweden but I think will work out handier and cheaper in the long run :)

I tried bakaries but they took 3 times the price of sugar for thier fondant.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.
/D

Might work out easier and less cost to not take so much honey off the bees at the end of the year.

I'm trying to make homemade fondant. I'm now making my forth batch and hope this will be the "one".
My question just now is if I can use the first 3 batches which resulted in platters as hard as rock. Can I give these to the girls? Perhaps I can melt them again?

Any help greatly appreciated,
D

For future we have our very own perfectionist making fondant and showing how simple it is. First instruction - Don't remelt and re-boil - TOXIC

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KyJOM0pejw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KyJOM0pejw[/ame]

My local baker was more than happy to get me fondant. Just a case of picking up the phone, start with "I'm a beekeeper and..." sorted.

PH

Latest posts

Back