Fondant, Crown board insulation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I have been making my own fondant as i am unable to find it cheep in bulk. My association sells it at £31 for a 12.5 KG box.

My question is, i have at the moment been feeding in the brood box. I have removed a frame in each hive, and placed a block of fondant in the space. The cluster is at the moment on the other side of the frame next to the fondant.

Would it be better if i was to feed above the crown board? If i do, would i need to fill the gap that is created by putting fondant under the roof above the crown board?

£31 WOW I can get 3 boxes for that price.

I'm feeding above the crown board. 50mm Kingspan on top of the CB with fondant in a see through plastic dish placed in a recess cut in the insulation.
To check if I need to replace is simply a matter of lifting the insulation and looking through the dish.

I'm feeding above the crown board. 50mm Kingspan on top of the CB with fondant in a see through plastic dish placed in a recess cut in the insulation.
To check if I need to replace is simply a matter of lifting the insulation and looking through the dish.

£ shops do around 10 with lids in a pack,the sort you get a curry in.

Thanks for the kings span idea. I have got 50mm styrofoam already above the CB. I could cut a hole in it to take the fondant.

But my original question is would this form of feeding be preferable to feeding in the box with one frame removed?

I would say so.
You don't want to have to be lifting the crown board off whenever you need to check to see if they need any more.
You say the cluster is 'at the moment' next to the frame with the fondant, but how will you know where they might move to unless you remove the cover?
Keep it up top where the heat rises to anyway and they will have no problems going there for it, rather than trying to follow them around and needless interfering.

I've not heard of this method before but I'm only a 3rd year beek. (just)

The other favoured way is to put the fondant on top of the frames (in clingfilm with slits or greaseproof with holes for bee access) enclosed by a small eke with the crownboard and then insulation above, or indeed in one of the Erich's curry containers again making sure bees have access.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kings span idea. I have got 50mm styrofoam already above the CB. I could cut a hole in it to take the fondant.

But my original question is would this form of feeding be preferable to feeding in the box with one frame removed?

I use an Apiguard eke, its 25mm high and covers a 2.5kg proprietary bag of fondant over the feed hole then a 46cm square block of kingspan or B&Q insulation above

never tried your frame removal method, but it seem similar to a syrup frame feeder,

the main thing is to have the fondant close enough and in a place the bees will not get chilled when feeding

Last edited:

IMHO Yes,

By putting the feed on the outside of the hive (assuming you are removing an outer frame) you are putting it in one of the coldest parts of the colony making it more difficult for them to get to it in times of cold, especially if the cluster is at the other side of the hive when they really need it.

If you stick it on the crown board (one of the hotter parts of the colony and also more central to reach the bees will find it alot easier to get to when they need it, it also requires no major manipulations to check fondant levels or add more fondant.

If you are making your own fondant i strongly recommend (as admin has suggested) get some pots to pour it into whilst still liquid and then allow it to set giving you an easy to apply ready packed lump of fondant to add when you need to.

Regards

C B

If you phone around your local bakeries one of them will be able to get you some baker's fondant at a reasonable price. My local has just quoted me £12 for a 12.5kg bucket of fondant, all I need to do is pick it up from them when it's delivered in.

I don't think I could make it any cheaper than this.

Frith

Latest posts

Back