Fondant and TBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBRNoTB

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
7: 1 KTBH . 3 14x12 , 1 Long fondationless 14x12 + 2 Nat +some empty ones :(
Anyone fed fondant to TBH's if so, how?

Anyone fed fondant to TBH's if so, how?

Wrapped the block in food grade paper, made some holes, placed it underneath or very close to the cluster on the floor - all gone the following spring. I have laid it on the floor in other hives, too, but very close to where they were at the time.
HH

Not yet but I have a TBH large nuc that will get a bit of fondant in a frame feeder next week .no checking on this till next spring as the idea is the bees should have provided for themselves. My big TBH is very heavy but the nuc feels ok but has the room for the frame feeder its going to be at the end of the hive and ?? if they locate it and time will show.

Wrapped the block in food grade paper, made some holes, placed it underneath or very close to the cluster on the floor - all gone the following spring. I have laid it on the floor in other hives, too, but very close to where they were at the time.
HH

Thank's for that. I have fed on a shallow tray (very shallow) as there is a very limited space under the combes. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a succesful alterative? some type of feeder maybe?

My TBH has a pitched roof (I think that is the correct term it slopes both ways from the middle). This leaves a good amount of space above the bars. I have made an eke to fit over the cluster and under the roof. I also have some "shims" which I use to make the space between bars large in the parts used for storing honey rather than brood. With a bit of care I can remove one of these and shuffle things about just enough to make a bee space. This allows them access to the bundle of fondant above.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
My TBH has a pitched roof (I think that is the correct term it slopes both ways from the middle). This leaves a good amount of space above the bars. I have made an eke to fit over the cluster and under the roof. I also have some "shims" which I use to make the space between bars large in the parts used for storing honey rather than brood. With a bit of care I can remove one of these and shuffle things about just enough to make a bee space. This allows them access to the bundle of fondant above.

I hope that makes sense.
Hi Cumbrian
Seems reasonable at least with your idea the fondant will be at the top where the heat is with mine it is down on an open mesh floor! Would they not block the slot up I wonder?
Regards
TBRNoTB

I added a syrup feeder above the bars, simply by removing an unused bar and fitting a blank with a hole in it
(around 7 minutes into video
http://youtu.be/sFh174PP9w0

also added a slab of fondant to the floor inside

I made a frame feeder two bar widths wide with filler hole, works great. Thinking of constructing the same type of feeder without hole, but with a removable front for loading/removal of fondant. This could act as a dummy board with insulation behind, when the hive is reduced for winter.

I make a sling out of fine gauge chicken wire stapled onto a top bar. The fondant is in plastic bag with a couple of slits on one side. I place it next to the last bar with stores. It is usually partly gone in the spring. Behind this fondant bar I fit a divider made out of insulation board with foil each side. The edges are covered with gaffer tape. I think this makes a snug part of the hive for the winter.

I made a frame feeder two bar widths wide with filler hole, works great. Thinking of constructing the same type of feeder without hole, but with a removable front for loading/removal of fondant. This could act as a dummy board with insulation behind, when the hive is reduced for winter.

Mine is similar idea. I built the feeder on the front of a division board, with a removable top bar ( twice ordinary width) as a lid, with the front face about 1 cm lower than the top so bees can gain access. Use it for any feed you like. Have filled it with poly and turned it round so the bees have insulation for the winter behind the division board

Mine is similar idea. I built the feeder on the front of a division board, with a removable top bar ( twice ordinary width) as a lid, with the front face about 1 cm lower than the top so bees can gain access. Use it for any feed you like. Have filled it with poly and turned it round so the bees have insulation for the winter behind the division board

That’s a good idea nice and simple

Thank's for that. I have fed on a shallow tray (very shallow) as there is a very limited space under the combes. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a succesful alterative?

A national or Langstroth hive ? :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back