Fondant and Oxalic Acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Still a beginner here.
First of all, going to treat bees with oxalic acid this week but need to source it.
Only have one hive at the moment, two come spring.

Can anyone recommend best place to buy it?

Also there is currently fondant slab on top of the brood box.

Is it OK to apply the acid whilst the bees are still feeding on the fondant?

Obviously it will be removed prior to application but can I put it back?
For some reason I read that once bees have been treated with the acid, you shouldn't continue to feed the bees.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris G

Hi Chris
I don't fancy ur chances trying to peel fondant off bars (or is it above the crownboard)?
Personally never fed fondant before ox a. Always try to make sure bees had enough stores to last til now. As a matter of interest what is ur natural mite drop count?
En

Yes, as per the previous post, you might get yourself in a real pickle trying to administer OA with a slab of fondant in the way. Try and remove it and you will only make the bees angry.

If it is, as you posted, "on top of the brood box" and not over the crownboard then it is going to be a nuicanse when it comes to administering the acid. At this time of year you want to disturb the cluster as little as possible so the operation must be quick and efficient.

In answer to your original question, I do not see the problem with continuing to feed after the o.a has been administered...

Ben P

Hi Chris - as far as sourcing it is concerned, you can buy OA itself plus a syrynge and make up your own solution with sugar syrup as per many threads here - or to my mind a lot easier and econimic if one got one or two hives, a ready made solution from any beekeeping supplier. Trickle2 comes with its own applicator so you won't need a syrynge and you can also get an empty container for 75p to practice the application pre opening your hive.

Obviously it will be removed prior to application but can I put it back?
For some reason I read that once bees have been treated with the acid, you

This year I had blocks of fondant on the top bars of a few colonies that were too light in the autumn. I had to scrape under the fondant to peel it back to get access to the seams of bees. It worked OK as the bees were quite quiet and I could use the hive tool to push along the top bars at the edge of the cluster, then pull back the block with my fingers.

Wasn't ideal though. After dribbling the fondant was gently lowered back into place and I'm sure all will be well.

Gavin

Yes, as per the previous post, you might get yourself in a real pickle trying to administer OA with a slab of fondant in the way. Try and remove it and you will only make the bees angry.

This why I always put fondant on lids from, say, icecream cartons, after cutting a slit just under 2 bees spaces wide for the bees to crawl through to get at the fondant. A by product, so to speak, also means that the fondant is kept warmish by virtue of the cluster below it and although it may sometimes trickle slightly, it does no harm as it lands on the cluster anyway. Recommend it to anyone - very simple. Easier still of course is to avoid feeding fondant until after trickling of course.

Latest posts

Back