Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

WBC Girl 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I was reading the "Coop details for their beekeeping initiative" item and noticed the following link-

Following a bee as an excuse for trespass!? Read about an old law that allows you onto land without permission - which takes you to an article on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8557605.stm

Makes interesting reading I thought!

p.s. hope I have done this correctly; its the first time I've posted anything

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
That's interesting. I know that as long as the beekeeper can keep his/her swarm in sight they can claim it when it settles, but I didn't know about any right to go onto private land. I suspect it would be a tricky one to argue, citing some law from long ago, but most land owners will be happy to have the bees removed.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Cant imagine a neighbour would be following in protective equipment, so best to cooperate and arrange for an instant line up of suspects to see if the perpetrator can be recognised, in order that the matter can be satisfactorily resolved.

Ah well, nothing like a bit of amusement in pursuit of good neighbourly relations and the interest of justice. I can dream, can't I?

Does this mean that Hedgerow Pete is going to get a stream of claimants down at the bee shed. :) :) :)

Annrbel 

New Bee
Reaction score
On a hill overlookig the East Sussex downland UK
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Love it! A:cheers2: colleague of a friend of mine also keeps bees, he told my friend he gets great satisfaction knowing his bees are nicking nectar from all his neighbours - I thought at the time that is quite a horrible reason for keeping bees, so I look forward to passing the link on, he's a barrister, so needs to know he can't refuse his neighbours claiming their share of the harvest!

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
He will have to do what I have done.
My Bees are trained to only go in certain gardens :)

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
It's a bu***r making the little whips and chairs.... LOL

PH

The Hyde Ranger 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Love it! A:cheers2: colleague of a friend of mine also keeps bees, he told my friend he gets great satisfaction knowing his bees are nicking nectar from all his neighbours - I thought at the time that is quite a horrible reason for keeping bees, so I look forward to passing the link on, he's a barrister, so needs to know he can't refuse his neighbours claiming their share of the harvest!
Only fair that they get it back provided they pay £3 or £4 a LB labour charge for processing by the workers LOL

Apis 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Tanging!...

...as long as you have a large pot and a spoon to bang it with and, as long as you keep the swarm in sight. You're laughing.

Zaphod 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As in the Merchant of Venice I would invite them to take precisely what is theirs and no more, and without in any way damaging my property, including the hive, the frames and comb, or indeed harming the bees.

And they are not entitled to a percentage of my labour.

Z