Flying or dying in the rain?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Over the last few days our weather here has dramatically changed. Very heavy and repeated showers and windy - guess same as most folk getting.

But my brave little darlings still come in with pollen between showers. Does this mean that foragers caught out in one of the downpours drown/die or can they really tell exactly when a downpour is about to start? Maybe no one has that answer??

You'll certainly see them rushing back when a dark cloud approaches. No doubt some do get caught out, and some even stay out all night.

G.

I agree with Gavin, its almost like a reverse swarm when rain is imminent with my little ladies. If I see a non-stop stream of them heading into the hive, you can almost guarantee rain within 30 mins.

I've also heard that when its showery, they will forage but take shelter until they can get get back.

However they do it I wish I could - it would save so many drenchings of late.

bee-smillie

I suspect very few drown or even get caught out in the rain. They seem to know and understand the weather

I would hope you are right on this one. They do seem to leave things till the very last minute. Sure they have ability to sense climate changes far better than us wee mortals can ever hope to - but I wonder?

You'll certainly see them rushing back when a dark cloud approaches.
G.

Gavin, just a thought. Do you think the diminishing light intensity could play a part in them heading for home?

we had a fine drizzle here all day and the girls kept on workin all throught it,i did notice though that none of them came back with pollen sacks on,is that purely down to the wetness of everything??

Gavin, just a thought. Do you think the diminishing light intensity could play a part in them heading for home?

I think that it is more than that, but I'd struggle to prove it. They just seem to be good weather watchers and a dark cloud coming, not even nearly overhead, is enough to send them scurrying home. I think that they can anticipate rain.

all the best

G.

Latest posts

Back