Flying in the rain?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2.5ish The 0.5 is an ish
Been to check on hive activity (from the outside) in the rubbish drizzly weather.
All my hives seem to be very busy and flying in the rain / drizzle. They all seem to be coming and going from the same direction so I guess there's a flow on (brambles out in force).

Are my "local bees" just tough or desperate?!

Some of my bees are out this morning and it's hissing down!

Tough maybe but not desparate 'cos I fed those in need a few days ago.

Native type bees are physically adapted to fly in damper and windier conditions. Breeding from well behaved bees who do better than hold their own in this sort of weather seems more than sensible...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Been to check on hive activity (from the outside) in the rubbish drizzly weather.
All my hives seem to be very busy and flying in the rain / drizzle. They all seem to be coming and going from the same direction so I guess there's a flow on (brambles out in force).

Are my "local bees" just tough or desperate?!

What I like to watch is the speed they return at when heavy rain is threatened or on the way.

What I like to watch is the speed they return at when heavy rain is threatened or on the way.

Especially if I'm in the way and unprotected, had to duck a few times from incoming. Might need some higher screening as it's only just above head height.

Does anyone use fine builders type netting as screening? Cheap and less likely to blow over. Any recommendations?

Yes the builders netting is good to use it can be hard to see through if you want to see the bees but if free great to use.

Native type bees are physically adapted to fly in damper and windier conditions. Breeding from well behaved bees who do better than hold their own in this sort of weather seems more than sensible...

That needs again imagination. Bees are the same, if you are honest to your self.

Adapted, yes. Well behaved, hmmm. Tetchy with my ham fisted manipulations, certainly not gentle and very easy to anger, but then there's the influence of the current rubbish weather. I have no control comparison as all my hives are local mongrels. They are definitely not in the same ball park as my original supercalm Carnolians. From my limited experience, first cross Carnolian + local = evil bees. Second and third crosses = calmish & tetchy.

Does anyone have a rating system for queens other than usual records?

Hi Knotty,
I have been flying in the rain this morning (trying to finish last bit of lawn before all day rain forecast) and failed naturally. However, it was really nice warm rain and loads of it. Can't say I blame them and definitely a flow on - more like a deluge. Honestly, I think it is a flow on too. Sun's out again see you.

Mine are all out and we've had 2 1/2" today!!

Same here, heavy drizzle yesterday and I was really worried that they might have been desperate through lack of stores.
Had left them alone for a couple of weeks while requeening after a split and first thoughts were of catastrophe. So in the first slight break I dived in to find wall-to-wall brood and plenty of stores, so very happy.
Locally we have had fields of peas all around and I think they have made the most of this. (Laughed because the farmer sprayed them the other night and it poured again straight afterwards - so much for that!) :smash:

That needs again imagination. Bees are the same, if you are honest to your self.

Basically the same but different strains have different characteristics - some are quicker to expand in spring than others, some will fly in more inclement weather than others, some will overwinter better, etc.

Pretty much an accepted view surely, even without imagination and no need of 50 yrs experience - pretty much well documented

Nope. Some are very busy in poor conditions....others sat at home reading the paper...

Last week I went to check on a swarm which had turned up at home, because I wanted to move them away (a neighbour is having them). It was dark wet & miserable weather and after tea. Had they disappeared inside, fat chance one was out running around the front of the hive, while four others were perched on the front edge ready for take off at the slightest improvement.

Back in the good old days of Borage, they would still be gathering nectar in the rain, as the petals formed an umbrella helping to maintain the nectar concentration.

Looked in entrance of one of my hives the other day during a heavy rain shower, there were hundreds of bees all lined up ready for take-off as soon as they could. I've never seen bees so still!

Basically the same but different strains have different characteristics - some are quicker to expand in spring than others, some will fly in more inclement weather than others, some will overwinter better, etc.

Pretty much an accepted view surely, even without imagination and no need of 50 yrs experience - pretty much well documented

I have nursed more bee races than you will ever see in your life.

No bees forage in rain. They bring water and you get nothing.

But I cannot win debate with 3-hive owner. Öhöm

mine were bringing in pollen in the rain today.

Latest posts

Back