Flow Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how does that differ from a normal apiary?

Just a normal Apiary with me breeding my own queens and also doing Nucleus colonies rather than using multiple sites. Just my interpretation

Reactions: jim
I picked up a flow hive super (national), mainly out of curiosity. If you had to get the whole thing you wouldn't convince me to, primarily on the basis I'd be using langstroth in the brood chamber and at that point cooperating with other beekeepers in the local area (which mainly uses larger sizes) becomes difficult. (Although if you're already buying stupid-expensive things, that would let you use the integrated thematherapy anti-varroa frames from Italy, I guess?)

It's...neat? I mean, that's basically the sum of it. It's nice not to have to faff about with uncapping and extractors and filtering. There's probably even a scenario where you have only one hive (but who does that expects to have bees more than a couple of years?) and it turns out more cost efficient than renting an extractor but that really isn't likely at all. It's not a scam or anything like that, but...it's...

Look, if you want to spend £400 on a situational super with a cool-factor, go for it. Do things that bring you joy. But go into it with eyes open to the disadvantages. Oilseed rape, ivy honey, needing to prime the frames with wax, it being pretty flippin' heavy, etc.

Help please !
I am looking into purchasing a flow hive as part of our NT project. I have been trying to find out more about them, has anyone any experience in working with them. We currently have 5 NS Bee hives. ( if they all survive winter) Our project focus is to educate visitors to the importance of Bees, their habitat and ecology. By introducing a flow hive we would be exploring and presenting an alternative way of Bee keeping. Suggestions and input welcome
There is all the information with brilliant photography as the master beekeeper Frederick Dunn is the man to watch on you tube. He has a wealth of info and will answer any questions about flow hives in technical detail. He is in Pennsylvania. The climate is more cold and more hot than midlands UK....... This week we got 40 lbs of honey from our Flow hive. No honey last season from July as all resources were left to the bees. The colony survived fine on a Langstroth deep and half.

Beware of the 'Flow hive antis'. However keep the hive clear of the Oil seed rape.
Please do look at You Tube and gain a wealth of info from Fred, you will not be disappointed. His review 2015 is valuable. Amazon cheapo Flow hive complete apart from a needed mesh floor =£170. Best wishes

Help please !
I am looking into purchasing a flow hive as part of our NT project. I have been trying to find out more about them, has anyone any experience in working with them. We currently have 5 NS Bee hives. ( if they all survive winter) Our project focus is to educate visitors to the importance of Bees, their habitat and ecology. By introducing a flow hive we would be exploring and presenting an alternative way of Bee keeping. Suggestions and input welcome
Fred Dunn = since 2015 = You Tube best Flow hive instructor /master beekeeper on the planet. He has several Flow hives some with 2 deeps and half ... PA -USA. colder than here and hotter too with 6 ft of snow thrown in..... UK climate no good for Flow hives ? If the facts are known then please tell the truth meaning forum subscribers.
Ignore the antis. Take note to keep clear of Rape seed plants/fields. Amazon cheap Flow H =£170 but needs extras re OMF and extra deep brood =Langstroth.
Knocks spots off the original at about 700 approx.
40 lbs honey last Sat suggests the climate is OK =Nottingham( not anywhere near any Rape!

There is all the information with brilliant photography as the master beekeeper Frederick Dunn is the man to watch on you tube. He has a wealth of info and will answer any questions about flow hives in technical detail. He is in Pennsylvania. The climate is more cold and more hot than midlands UK....... This week we got 40 lbs of honey from our Flow hive. No honey last season from July as all resources were left to the bees. The colony survived fine on a Langstroth deep and half.

Beware of the 'Flow hive antis'. However keep the hive clear of the Oil seed rape.
Please do look at You Tube and gain a wealth of info from Fred, you will not be disappointed. His review 2015 is valuable. Amazon cheapo Flow hive complete apart from a needed mesh floor =£170. Best wishes
You are talking to the wall... The person you are responding to joined 03/03/22 - last visited here on 23/03/2022. If you click on the Members profile you can see their stats which include when they were last active.

Yes by this point the flow has been on eBay twice already!
I know you are only joking... there are those, however, who find the flow hive works for them ... it's certainly not my idea of beekeeping - and I think there are limited circumstances in the UK where they WILL work .... but we should not pillory the afflicted ...

even on the videos of flow hives i have watched 'working', it seems odd that a jar is placed at the rear, into which the honey flows, and there is not a single bee flying around the jar

granted i've only watched a couple briefly, but that made it look stage managed

Back