Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Research on Environmental Health Perspectives. We use plastics everyday!

Yeah, i know, we get our milk in plastic containers.

Be a bummer if they make gazillions of ££££s worth of these frames and they all have to be dumped won't it.

It wouldn't be their fault as the manufacturing companies make the products. What would we use instead of plastic? Remember watching Tomorrows World suggesting we would be eating the plastic packaging of sandwiches.

What would we use instead of plastic? Remember watching Tomorrows World suggesting we would be eating the plastic packaging of sandwiches.

Greaseproof paper, of course, i would never use plastic packaging for sandwiches, not safe is it, you seen how much of it is floating around in the oceans, seagulls hate the stuff.

I certainly remember watching tomorrows world on tv, with Raymond Baxter, but don't recall anything about them saying we would be eating the plastic packaging made for wrapping sandwiches in.

Do you remember this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRlW-jz1QQ

Ticker tape report..... that is another $301,917USD raised in 24 hours, total now....$4,301,917USD
raised of $70,000 goal, they will be catching Bill Gates up soon.

Last edited:
I certainly remember watching tomorrows world on tv, but don't recall anything about them saying we would be eating the plastic packaging made for wrapping sandwiches in.
I do! it's funny what you remember; I was only a nipper at the time it must be what Macdonalds are trying to achieve - persuading the great unwashed to eat the packaging instead of the contents, probably taste better and do you more good anyway - the only other thing I recall was a 'plastic' bicycle wheel which would withstand being run over by a car (not much point really - didn't much rate the chances of the paperboy)

I believe it was Kieran Prenderville eating the packaging. Any have a look at WikiCells edible packaging. Sorry but this is going off topic. A natural food packaging.

They've made another video which demonstrates the system in more detail:
youtube.com/watch?v=ryWC92NT2Eo

I think realistically, even though they only do it in the video for demonstration purposes, removing the frames for extraction makes more sense than having exposed honey behind the hive.
It looks less messy than regular extraction - with the advantage that the frames can be put right back into the hive still drawn.

I've been very sceptical, but I must say that that demo has allayed some of my concerns about it as a viable gadget.
I think it might appeal to "hobby" beeks as the cost of the flowhive frames would be offset against the cost of extracting equipment and traditional replacement frames and foundation.
I'd agree that removing the flowhive frame for extraction may be a better way to go, both for hygiene and especially as it then wouldn't need modifications to the boxes.

That demo has made me think along another line...
For those that use plastic foundation, why don't they make it with extended plastic comb cells?
It might even be more acceptable to bees than flat plastic foundation?
It would be less work for the bees to rebuild the comb, and so quicker turnaround from one full frame to the next.

About 3 minutes to empty a frame of honey.. That of course is in Australia... which is rather warmer...

Very impressive..

I wonder how long to empty one at 18C...

It would depend on how fast the extractor spins! ;)

About 3 minutes to empty a frame of honey..

No....in the video it had drained out 1.5kg in ten minutes, and was almost drained after twenty minutes, so total would be around thirty minutes...in Australia

That latest video makes it clearer why there is a removable panel in the super top and bottom of the frames. There's a bee clear end maintained at the end of the frames, hence the screw adjustment at the other end and precision needed in constructing the box. A lot more plugging and unplugging than the earlier videos suggested. Clearer how it works but the effort needed is more than first impressions and there's a lot of careful (i.e. slow) handling of the frames needed to maintain the bee tight areas. Curiously, with more detail appearing, it appears more feasible in use but probably less attractive to novices.

... Curiously, with more detail appearing, it appears more feasible in use but probably less attractive to novices.

Yes and extraction is far and away the most difficult and hardest to 'get your head around' part of beekeeping, isn't it?

// :biggrinjester:

No....in the video it had drained out 1.5kg in ten minutes, and was almost drained after twenty minutes, so total would be around thirty minutes...in Australia

Thanks.

So double that possibly in some colder UK scenarios.. (or even longer).

Going to be some very unhappy customers...

Latest posts

Back