fleabane?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there a thread about fleabane? I can tell you about it if you wan't to know, or even if you don't!

Hi Gregnut, Thanks for that:.) Dont know what happend really, posted off my phone, acidentally clicked back and appeared to have posted twice. Edited second one and now it seems the wrong one was deleted??????? Wondered why I had no replies... until now :.)

Here goes, Loads of fleabane in my field and next door field. Dont remember ever seeing even bumbles on it let alone honey bees. Is it no good for honey bees or do I just happen to always be there at the wrong time??

Thanks, di:.)

I have plenty of it near my hives, and though it's popular with hoverflies, I've never seen bumble bees or honey bees on it.
Apparently, it was once dried and put into pillows to keep fleas away- hence the name. So you'd think it would be unpopular with all insects!

Aah. I did wonder, what a shame as I said theres loads of it. Thanks, Di:.)

Fleabane is worked readily by both Bumbles and Honey bees. They were busy working in on Sunday in Kent - probably coz they've exhausted all the rosebay willow herb :)

Fleabane is worked readily by both Bumbles and Honey bees. They were busy working in on Sunday in Kent - probably coz they've exhausted all the rosebay willow herb :)

Hi vortex, thats good to know, maybe something to do with weather and nectar production? How has the weather been around you for a few days before and on sunday? Thanks di

Friday afternoon into Saturday morning was damp with rain showers some heavy. Brightened through Saturday afternoon in the evening. Sunday started overcast but became much brighter and warmer by Sunday lunchtime. Loads of bees flying Sunday afternoon amongst the drifting willow herb seed.
Fleabane has a very distinctive bright red/orange (madder if you're familiar with the colour) pollen.

Your photo looks like "daisy fleabane", Erigeron [?philadelphicus or annuus], likely an escapee from somewhere. This photo is the one that honey bees enjoy, "common fleabane", Pulicaria dysenterica, this is found near water and is quite common. Fabulous fluorescent orange pollen late Aug early Sept. It grows about 3 ft high. The flowers are an inche and a half across and the leaves are a little like garden mint in size and texture.

Latest posts

Back