flavoured honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
Just got back from a holiday in France and on one of the markets we went to there was a chap selling flavoured honey the lime was really tasty from what i could make out (not speaking much French) he adds lime juice and food colour before soft setting it
Has any one else tried this ???

I am sure it was very nice...

But by and large the current Lady DD and I prefer honey-flavoured honey.

My summer crop has produced a lovely lime flavour, no nasty additives!

I seem to recall a conversation a few years back questioning if nectar from lime trees gives a lime flavour, if I recall correctly there is little or no relationship between the lime trees and the lime fruit - if not I'd love to know what plant gives the lime flavour.

My summer crop has produced a lovely lime flavour, no nasty additives!

I seem to recall a conversation a few years back questioning if nectar from lime trees gives a lime flavour, if I recall correctly there is little or no relationship between the lime trees and the lime fruit - if not I'd love to know what plant gives the lime flavour.

it was bright lime green and a very strong lime flavour i must say it was very nice

Ok up until the " food colouring " bit , seems a crime to adulterated such a natural incredible food product

I think it literally is a crime under EU regs, but can't be sure.

I think it literally is a crime under EU regs, but can't be sure.

You cannot sell that under name of "honey". You should use something else name "honey like....". Under name of honey you cannot add any stuff in it, not even bee brood.

You cannot sell that under name of "honey". You should use something else name "honey like....". Under name of honey you cannot add any stuff in it, not even bee brood.

Same rules in NL... you can't add anything to honey and still call it "honey" on the label. I'm not sure what you're supposed to call it, then. Funky flavoured bee barf?

Also according to our local Council officer the minute you add anything to Honey it becomes foodstuff and has to be tested and labelled completely different to Honey!

ie By all means try it for self consumption but don't even think about selling it without checking all the regulations!

I'm thinking about sticking chilli peppers in a jar to have Chilli flavoured 'Bee Barf' ;)

...I'm thinking about sticking chilli peppers in a jar to have Chilli flavoured 'Bee Barf' ;)

My local farm shop sells chilli flavoured honey from a commercial enterprise. It is labeled as "pure British honey infused with chilli". I guess it would be useful if you were keen on barbecues, or good for making dips.

(If I told you what else this enterprise does you'd fall about laughing!)

:iagree:

But then again - I wouldn't eat snails either

Don't knock it JBM, we export millions of farmed snails each year to france as they cant produce enough for their own markets.

Latest posts

Back