first year keeping bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first year as a beekeeper.I bought a hive in the spring and luckily a swarm landed in the park where i work a couple of days later which i managed to collect and put in the hive.My bees produced 20lb of honey which i was quite pleased with.I must say a big thanks to KBKA who have been a great help.

Welcome Pete. There are nuggets of good info on here and loads of help for emergencies. Don't be afraid to ask, or even just to tell us about your day!
E

Welcome to the boards, there's plenty of information & advise to be found here.

Welcome Pete and congratulations on completing your first year. In a similar position myself although did spend some of last year shadowing the bee keeper I eventually took over from. Don't know about you but found there is so much to learn but it is so enjoyable and to have this forum to call on when you need help is reassuring - welcome again and enjoy your second year.

Welcome.
Just come to the end of my first year too.

:welcome: I've recently joined KBKA so we'll probably bump into each other at the monthly meet. I'm the middle aged guy getting thin on top (but thinking about the membership that's probably not much help :))

Hello from the Scottish Highlands !

I've found the posts very interesting and helpful so finally taken the plunge to post...great to be here!

Hi, karlzed, why not try starting your own thread! Good practice
E :)

This is also the end of my first year of beekeeping. I joined this forum as I require more advise and info on TBH as I now have made 2 and have a colony in the first which is now well established. I live in Wales at 1000 ft. and today the temp has dropped to 12 C day max and will not be much better before March. The bees are still active in the sunshine but I expect them to bed down soon for winter. There are not many TBHs in this area so any help is very welcome.
I tried this summer to divide but no new queen developed even after two attempts but this was probably due to the colony being too small but later I think the colony superseded and the new queen has strengthened the colony this autumn.
Any comments very welcome.

They won't bed down until the temperature really drops and even then they wil fly on warm days. With a tbh expect swarms next year if they are strong!
E

They won't bed down until the temperature really drops and even then they wil fly on warm days. With a tbh expect swarms next year if they are strong!
E

I have a TBH which is very strong and has not swarmed in three years. Same queen,lots of honey.. Secret? Empty the hive of 90% of overwintered honey in April.

This is also the end of my first year of beekeeping. I joined this forum as I require more advise and info on TBH as I now have made 2 and have a colony in the first which is now well established. I live in Wales at 1000 ft. and today the temp has dropped to 12 C day max and will not be much better before March. The bees are still active in the sunshine but I expect them to bed down soon for winter. There are not many TBHs in this area so any help is very welcome.
I tried this summer to divide but no new queen developed even after two attempts but this was probably due to the colony being too small but later I think the colony superseded and the new queen has strengthened the colony this autumn.
Any comments very welcome.

Keep the rain and the wind off the hive, There are lots of both in Wales, more in some places than others

Hi, This seems like such a good place to see what folk actually do in practice rather than what 'should' be done.

I suppose I'm technically a second year bee keeper. 30 or so years ago I started with a colony in a WBC, plus kit, from a retiring bee keeper because one of my sons expressed an interest. We did it together for a while then he took over in his own right and I became the assistant. Then he moved out, taking his bees. Had a bad back at the time so thought I wouldn't be bale to manage on my own so didn't persue.

Fast forward to this year. I now have a TBH and said son collected a swarm in June which have happily set up home in it (after rubbing walls with lemongrass oil). Have left all honey for this coming winter.

Look forward to seeing what everyone is doing, especially those with TBHs.

thank you

Many thanks for all the replies. Have had a great time beekeeping this year and looking forward to next year. Volunteering to help look after the club apiary was a good way of learning and would recommend it to any newbie.

Hi Pete

Sorry I missed your post earlier - I'll point out Mario to you on the 7th. See you then!

D

Latest posts

Back