First Year Book - Recommendations-poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which books would you recommend to first year beginners

• Beekeeping for Dummies - Kim Flottum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
This list will hopefully be a good resource for book aimed at first year beekeepers from total beginners to those sitting the BBKA Basic.

Please Vote for those books that you own and would recommend to people in the above categories.

if i have missed any obvious ones please don't shoot me down but let me know whats missing as i will try and update the list so we end up with a list to end all list of beginners books.....Hopefully becoming a Sticky thread.:hurray:

first poll so fingers crossed it works.:cheers2:

I voted for

Bees at the bottom of the garden - Alan Campion
Guide to Bees and Honey - Ted Hooper's
Practical Beekeeping - Clive de Bruyn

If I only had one vote I would say Bees at the bottom of the garden for the pure novice, but TH's Guide to Bees and Honey is much better but not aimed at a novice keeper so much. Some other very good books listed but decided to limit my list.

Last edited:
I think the choice of book does depend on how you learn. Some people really like visual rather than too much text. The poll picks out books but doesn't quite allow to explain some of this.
I recommend the DVD by Paul Metcalf - An Introduction to Beekeeping- because it shows aspects that can hardly be described in words. It starts with the first inspection of the year and then has chapters that are visits through to getting ready for winter. You see and hear the bees around the camera; take in the gentle and rhythmic way he inspects or encourages 'the girls' out of the way. I think my early practical experiences were much easier because of this - it really conveys what to expect and what to do.
Another good book as a precurser is Gerard Baker - Bees and Beekeeping explained - a very thin book I bought from the National Trust. The reason I think this is so good is that it covers everything with a good balance between photos, illustrations and text. In particular, 6 pages cover the beekeeper year which are great in the beginning before you need all the detail and great later when you know what to do and want a reminder of the sequence. At the end a good section on plants to match the bees year (again well illustrated for those who can't match names to the plant) means that whilst you are waiting for your beginners course or to get your bees you can start to supplement the forage in your garden in preparation.
Collins Beekeeper Bible is great - but at the beginning would possibly be overwhelming especially if you don't like reading. For someone who likes to read around a subject and perhaps have a reference to delve more deeply on aspects as and when needed it is a treasure.
Local BKA newsletters are also invaluable as typically they prompt as to what needs to be done in your area and that local, of the moment advice, is quite powerful.
Tricia

I would add 'Beekeeping; a seasonal guide' by Ron Brown. Almost as much information as Hooper, but more accessible for the beginner.

I voted for these two as they are the only books I've read.

Bees at the bottom of the garden - Alan Campion
Practical Beekeeping - Clive de Bruyn

I would anticipate that many of these would be best read well before the first year of beekeeping; one book missing - not the first book to read but the one that really set me alight: The Honeybees of the British Isles - Beowulf Cooper

Teach Yourself Beekeeping - Adrian and Claire Waring
Get Started In Beekeeping - Adrian Waring

Aren't these the same book with different titles/covers? Can the entries/votes be combined?

I voted for Hooper and Clive Clive de Bruyn.
For the next stage and for winter reading I would go for anything from Manley.

If you run out of loo roll then idiots guide to beekeeping could come in handy.

I ordered loads of books via my local library read them all, then chose which ones I wanted to buy

our local association has its own ending library

I voted for Hooper and Clive Clive de Bruyn.
For the next stage and for winter reading I would go for anything from Manley.

If you run out of loo roll then idiots guide to beekeeping could come in handy.

I could not agree more apart from I wouldnt even wipe my bum with the idiots guide. I was the ***** for paying good money for it

Ron Brown's: Beekeeping a Seasonal Guide is back in print and might be worth adding.

I've found the Haynes Bee Manual to be invaluable, very clear photos and step by step instructions and tips as you'd expect from a Haynes car manual. Its got to be a candidate for best beggineers book.
I also have Ted Hoopers book which is more in depth and is a really good read probably more for the experienced beekeeper as well.

Latest posts

Back