First time bee keeper from co.Down

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I'm completely new to this, just got a 6 frame nuc last week and noticed what I think looked like a swarm cell(looked like a peanut) on the bottom of one of the frames. (I was only able to glance at it through the opening of hive)
Im guessing its far to early for it to be a swarm cell, its also to cold at the minute to open the hive and have a closer look at the minute but any advice would be more than welcome

Take what’s left of the winter to find a local course and book yourself on a spring one. You really should be learning something about bees and what’s involved before jumping in if possible.

Last edited:
Please do not open them again until you can go outside in a T shirt because it is too hot for anything else!
It is probably an old cell. Try an easy book like .. Bees at the bottom of the garden... I am amazed someone is moving nucs around at this time of the year!

Thanks for the advice, I did think it might have been left over from last year but as I'm new to this I thought it maybe best to ask the advice of those wiser than myself.

The main task is to make sure there is enough food to last until April. So heft your nuc i.e. lift it at the back with one hand to judge its weight. Do this at least each week to get to know how much honey stores are left in the Nuc. Ask the Nuc supplier to help you evaluate it. You may need to give it fondant if it is too light. There are fondant recipies online. Join your local association, do the beginners course. Check Youtube for "The Norfolk honey company" Remember to listen to your bees, they know more than we do. Good luck and enjoy.

Get on a course. Leave them alone until spring. As already said it is an odd time to be selling nucs. In view of that I might give them some fondant as insurance against starvation, having little confidence in the supplier of the nuc

Hi I'm completely new to this, just got a 6 frame nuc last week and noticed what I think looked like a swarm cell(looked like a peanut) on the bottom of one of the frames. (I was only able to glance at it through the opening of hive)
Im guessing its far to early for it to be a swarm cell, its also to cold at the minute to open the hive and have a closer look at the minute but any advice would be more than welcome
Have you joined a BKA yet? If not do so promptly and then get along to any meetings and discuss issues. Don't necessarily need to join any course - if of a practical nature you can get clues by watching at apiary meeting with BKA or elsewhere and then consider courses which cost the earth.

Have you joined a BKA yet? If not do so promptly and then get along to any meetings and discuss issues. Don't necessarily need to join any course - if of a practical nature you can get clues by watching at apiary meeting with BKA or elsewhere and then consider courses which cost the earth.
Not necessarily. OK my course was over 10 years ago, but we were just asked to cover hall hire costs£1-2 per week.

Not necessarily. OK my course was over 10 years ago, but we were just asked to cover hall hire costs£1-2 per week.
Depends on which course at your BKA that you sign up for. These days quite expensive imo from what I have seen.

Latest posts

Back