First sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Collected my first sting yesterday (two days after bragging that I hadn't been stung). Hardly any reaction thanks goodness. The upisde is that the sting was on my thumb joint, right where my arthritis is the worst. Lets hope those stories about bee venom are true!

Welcome to my world. I'm sure the next one won't be too long in coming.:biggrinjester:

Hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Pete

wait till you come away with 20+ stings then see how you feel :)

bees and arthritis

as a medic having had many stings and with a wife with arthritis, whilst not debunking possible benefits, would like to suggest that the stings just take your mind off the pain in your joints.
more seriously - having to rub the itchy stings will "close the gate" and inhibit the pain sensation somewhat.

I had my first sting yesterday—4 days after collecting my first Brood Box---on my face.
My own fault for not kitting up before nosing around near the hive. No reaction and scrapped the sting off as the DVDs/books advise.

I had my first sting yesterday—4 days after collecting my first Brood Box---on my face.
My own fault for not kitting up before nosing around near the hive. No reaction and scrapped the sting off as the DVDs/books advise.

You are lucky :) I've never been stung properly, only an old one from carrying the suits, and although there was no pain or swelling, it made me very sick :( Dreading my first proper hit. Lol, not stopping beekeeping though, even if they zap me like a taser ;)

That's really interesting, my Mum has MS and my Dad has Parkinsons, so perhaps I should get them into beekeeping? ;)

I haven't been stung yet, so still dreading that.

What would you advise I keep as a first aid kit? I have some anti-histamine tablets (Zirtek) and Boots anti-histamine cream. Are these good enough I have a reaction to a sting or do I need something else?

Well not having been stung last year my bees have made up for it this year. A few harmless stings through my gloves, the worst being a numbness in a couple of fingers that lasted a couple of days.

Until I had to check a few hives before going away for the week!
One got me on the front of my leg just above my foot. my fault really but it did hurt a lot when it happened. 5mins later and the pain had gone. Did't think much of it again until the next day when my foot began to swell, 2 days after the sting and my foot was like a balloon. Great start to my hols but I guess I will be more carefull next time and have some antihistemene tablets with me. Thankfully this morning the swelling has started to slowly go back down.

Just been out to the bees to return 6 wet frames and maybe take away more capped frames if possible. Been stung 10 times gave up in the end put the hive back together. Bees everywhere, and had ten or so followers who wouldn't give up. Is it the time of year?

Last edited:
I just rub antihistamine cream on the sting.

Some other threads on here have advised against taking tablets every time you inspect.

At first I inspected in boots but after I got stung on the ankle I always wear wellies for even the smallest jobs.

Collected my first sting yesterday (two days after bragging that I hadn't been stung). Hardly any reaction thanks goodness. The upisde is that the sting was on my thumb joint, right where my arthritis is the worst. Lets hope those stories about bee venom are true!

Will not be taking a look at the ladies in shorts (plus full suit!) again. no matter how hot.
see link http://i48.tinypic.com/348rqd2.jpg
Regards
TBRNoTB

:iagree: jUST LIKE MINE
i have been on antibiotics for 12 days due to being stung on left leg on me calf,
It wont stop me
i have learnt my lesson, get thicker trousers.
I feel sorry for the bees that got me at least im still a live not like them :hurray:

Last edited:
Try a bit of meat tenderiser (got a packet from an Indian spices shop) dissolved in water on the sting immediately after. It seems to lessen the pain. Wash it off after 10 minutes though or it can itself cause irritation.

I havent been stung yet only on my gloves but didnt go all the way through. the venom thing is supposed to be true but the amount of venom needed to help people is masive they are in the process of developing a drug at the mo cant remember where i read it though

Just been out to the bees to return 6 wet frames and maybe take away more capped frames if possible. Been stung 10 times gave up in the end put the hive back together. Bees everywhere, and had ten or so followers who wouldn't give up. Is it the time of year?

They go bonkers when they smell the wet frames - I put mine back at dusk on Sunday night and they were going frantic outside the hive trying to work out where the lovely smell was coming from!

Latest posts

Back