First sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got stung for the first time today. I did wonder what it would be like, having only ever been stung by a wasp (vespula vulgaris) before. I had googled what the difference was between them before getting a hive, but I didn't really find much information. Posting here in case it's useful for anyone doing the same. Both times, I was stung once on the thumb pad of my left hand, so pretty consistent.

Wasp (VV) - felt like a red hot glass fibre splinter being inserted 1cm into my thumb. I called it some very choice words as it flew off. Painful enough to get me to run it under cold water to reduce the pain and stung for good hour afterwards.

Bee (AMM) - initially didn't realise I had been stung, more discomfort than pain. Once I realised I removed the sting immediately. The pain level increased, but I was happy to finish the hive inspection. Still throbbing a little after an hour.

I would imagine it has a lot to do with how your body reacts to the different toxins, but for me, the bee was much less painful all round.

You will no doubt get stung again, people's reaction to ongoing stings varies tremendously, but generally you need an initial exposure to generate allergy. Worth having someone around for your next inspection, though you may well also have diminishing response to stings also.

I never knew that you could have an adverse reaction to a subsequent sting. Good to know, thank you. I had assumed that it would the same or diminishing.

My reaction has diminished and even direct hits to blood vessels are not so bad- previously causing serious bruising .
I'm inclined to think it's as much of a mindset combined with the physical aspect -you do get used to the event and its not such a surprise.

I never knew that you could have an adverse reaction to a subsequent sting. Good to know, thank you. I had assumed that it would the same or diminishing.
First exposure preps the immune system ( like a vaccine if you like) the system can over react which is why you can get an allergic response that become anaphylactic if severe.
Apologies to any doctors here

Mine differ from sting to sting.
In order of badness!!!!!
Nothing
Redness
Itching
Swelling
All of the four above
All of the four above to the point I could rip a limb off

First exposure preps the immune system ( like a vaccine if you like) the system can over react which is why you can get an allergic response that become anaphylactic if severe.
Apologies to any doctors here
Usually the immune system produces antibodies to foreign substances eg stings. It needs an exposure to the substance (or something very similar) to prime the immune system. Once that has happened it usually protects you. In allergy there is an imbalance between different types of antibodies produced against the substance, which causes them to stimulate some cells to release histamine. For some people repeated exposure makes the imbalance worse & their reactions get worse. For most they become more protected/tolerant, but even that can change.
That's a massive simplification, especially in anaphylaxis, which is not terribly well understood. The immune system is incredibly complex!!
Good news from one study is that getting 200+ stings per year is almost completely protective against severe systemic reactions, but I doubt most of us fancy that (though I reckon I'm getting there this season!)

I lifted a crown board yesterday without realising there was a wasp under my left pinky. The pain was as the OP described and so much worse than my normal dose if bee stings!!!!
I can take bee stings all day but I would hate to be attacked by a load of wasps! 😱

I have an abiding memory of getting 9 wasp stings all at once as a 6 year old, with in retrospect a fairly impressive local reaction!
I guess I'm not the phobic type as I became a beekeeper and am not scared of wasps!

I stood on wasp nest while fishing on a river bank, did not know I could run so fast.

My first sting was on a thumb - red hot pocker for 2 min then throbbing for days. Covered up for ages after that. Then started to get a few stings as I relaxed a bit till I started noticing it was little more than an irritation.

Worst wasp sting I had was as a pre-beekeeping 17 year old when one got into my moto cycle helmet and of course had several goes at me. Had no idea what had happened. For information it was a 150cc Francis Barnett Plover 2 stroke (cost 10bob and wish I had it now) but guess it thought it was attacking a buzzing bee colony. Damned sore though.

Eurax (crotamiton) is excellent for the itching - you can buy it in Tesco/Boots. Even comes as a hydrocortisone version or you can just put a blob of Eurax and a blob of HC and rub both in.

Latest posts

Back