First sting!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summer motorbike gloves are no thicker tbh, apart from reinforced areas here and there. If you have marigolds over leather gloves (you must have tiny hands?) you've done about as much as possible and still being able to grip. The odd sting will get through (well aimed?) but most won't.

Erichalfbee,
Not the first time to be had through the suit ...you are not invincible, heh.

But .... Tonybloke, a fleece???!!! How on earth do you do it? I am dripping after inspections if I wear a long sleeved shirt. I fully agree with your logic as it would be just the right thickness, if only I didn't get so hot.

But .... Tonybloke, a fleece???!!! How on earth do you do it? I am dripping after inspections if I wear a long sleeved shirt. I fully agree with your logic as it would be just the right thickness, if only I didn't get so hot.

I can inspect 3 colonies in about 10 minutes, and I can stand 10 minutes being 'warm' :rolleyes:

The blue gloves from maisemore are most certainly sting proof. I've had enough hits on mine to be sure (touchwood!)

Are these motorcycle gloves pretty sting proof?

After my last re-action to stings I wore my usual kid/canvas gauntlets with yellow washing up gloves over (sticky hive), and still managed to get stung on my finger

I don't know - they didn't try stinging me :) But they are double leather - and over much of the area they are also padded - if this doesn't work - I'll try the winter bike gloves - with padding and insulation. Main advantage is that they do fitproperly, and I have some feel through them. If that doesn't work - RUN!

I'm pretty new to all this beekeeping lark having only got a nuc in mid June. I remember my grandfather inspecting his ladies wearing a Trilby with some net curtain draped over it. Given my ridiculously sensitive skin and reaction to a mozzy bite I reckon I'm going to suffer hideously from a bee sting so I've invested in an Ultrabreeze suit (Inc £75 import tax) some gaiters for my legs and a pair of thick leather gloves with nitriles under and over (I have small hands!). I know I will get stung eventually but for now I'm happy with the confidence this gives me and allows me to make the odd mistake without paying the higher price. I hope one day I can make my grandpa proud, in the meantime I'll suit up, glove up and be a wuss. :)

Interesting...

I clipped and marked 6 queens today in nuclei: taking gloves off and on to clip and mark became a bit of a faff, so decided for the first time to go entirely gloveless.

First frame I lifted out? Bee plonks a corker in my thumb ( and no, I didn't crush her)

Back to the gloves. :(

freethorpe bees said:
The blue gloves from maisemore are most certainly sting proof. I've had enough hits on mine to be sure (touchwood!)
....... Erm .... no, sorry.
It depends on the aim I think, I've been stung through these, a real beauty in the pad of my thumb, though they are still what I wear.

plumber

"I clipped and marked 6 queens today"

Round of applause!

I've experimented clipping on a few drones and failed every time - so have given up trying!

Cheers richardbees, I feel rather chuffed myself.

It's worth persisting. I caught each one first in a butterfly clip, then brought her into a bathroom ( enclosed room). Gloves/smock off and did the deed(s).

Hi. I'm in my first year of keeping my own bees but it does occur to me that wearing nitrile or marigold gloves allows the wearer to scrub clean between hives. This should reduce the risk of transmitting disease between colonies. I'm not too sure about scrubbing my hands with a scourer and soda solution.

Caff

Sorry copy and past did not work,so makes no sence -

"law of Beekeeping No1 = you keep bees, you will get stung!"

Dont like that law, lets go to next one.

Got a sting on my finger yesterday. Scraped it out with finger nail ok then used same finger nail to push/flick the sting off ............aarrrggghhhhh. Bloody sting went under my finger nail. Instant pain:eek: Went and stuck finger in bottle of peroxide.

Latest posts

Back