First Sting of the Year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East Yorks New Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well got my first stings of 2010 yesterday, lovely weather, bees flying well so thought I will put some neopoll (from Rooftops,Great service and fast delivery) on to give them a boost, put my jacket and veil on but no gloves, didn't think I would need then just taking top off and placing neopoll, opened hive and out one angry bee flew, stung me on my finger then went and told her friends to come and hide in my trouser pocket and sting me through there. As usual do something nice for a female and she has a sting in the tail for you.

Dave, have to admit to a little chuckle when reading this. Lets hope its not the start to a painful year ahead :)

I oftern hear it said that the more times you get stung the less it hurts and the lesser the local reaction, is there any truth in this?

Last edited:
Peebels, I certainly found this. The first sting I had itched so badly I could have quite happily cut my hand off, after that though things did improve to only a very little reaction. Not that I was stung too many times may I add.

You dont react so much over time but the pain is the same from the first sting and the hundredth.

I also find it depends what area of the body the sting is,the only place I really swell up is the hands.

my only experience of stings is from childhood and i remember it was horrible! I don’t know how much of this might be related to the age I was though or if it was even a bee! I suspect its more likely to have been a wasp? I guess ill be finding out this year about how much they hurt these days!

my only experience of stings is from childhood and i remember it was horrible! I don’t know how much of this might be related to the age I was though or if it was even a bee! I suspect its more likely to have been a wasp? I guess ill be finding out this year about how much they hurt these days!

I was very anxious last year about how much it was going to hurt, but in a funny way I was looking forwards to being stung for the first time since I was a kid, probably just to reassure myself that I wasn't allergic to bee venom.

I dont mind getting stung so much.
But its the swelling and itching afterwards.

As yet I can see no improvement either.
In fact my wife is convinced I react more to the stings each time it happens.

The hands sort of get used to it but oh dear the tip of the nose, the forehead and ears are b****Y painful, every time.

The actual pain level of the sting is the same as admin says every time, it jsut seems that your hands get more used to it.

Getting stung is a fact of beekeeping and those who say they had one sting in a season are not really doing a lot of beekeeping. If you work a quantity of hives you will get stung quite frequently, probably in the 10's or more every day.

The deal is as always nothing for nothing.

PH

I oftern hear it said that the more times you get stung the less it hurts and the lesser the local reaction, is there any truth in this?

Does the pain get less?, No!.
Do the local reactions get less? Yes eventually.
I suffered from swelling for years (contemplated giving up bee keeping ) , I'm glad I persisted, or I would have missed out on a wonderful hobby :).

John Wilkinson

Even this time of the year LIGHT YOUR SMOKER.If the bees get uppity give them a quick puff . I don't ever wear gloves - I get all the protection I need by thoroughly smoking my wrists and hands and find the bees won't bother me. I find this way I probably only get stung perhaps once or twice a year.Having kept bees for over 30 years I hardly notice if I have been stung and don't swell up at all.By the way do you know that bee venom is chemically identical to COBRA venom !!

Washing ones hands with carbolic soap, plus careful handling reduces stings to almost nil ,however to comply with the latest recommendations I now use disposable gloves when working with the bees!!

John Wilkinson

Has anyone ever been stung by a bumble bee? I was walking bare foot in the garden afew years ago and stood on one. It stung my big toe on the fleshy part and it was excruciatingly painful for a few seconds. Took my breath way. Are honey bees just as painful? I've never had a sting from either a wasp or honey bee. I felt bad for that poor bumble bee

Once, putting said bumble out the window and they are FAR milder than a honey bee sorry to say, took me half an hour to decide that that quivering of his abdomen was actually a stinging action.

PH

Got one on my wrist the other day whilst putting fondant on.

The worst one I ever got was on my eyelid from a bee that got under my veil.

Very, very painful!

Peter

The actual pain level of the sting is the same as admin says every time, it jsut seems that your hands get more used to it.

An observation i made last year in relation to this, i have found that the "Pain" level of the sting taken can vary with different hives, or so it seems. (perhaps that should be varies with Strain of Bee)

One colony in particular when they sting,(my only Hampshire Colony) the searing pain continues four fold over my other bees. Its extremely intense, enough so to make me hold the area momentarily. I do not react in this way with any others.

Once, putting said bumble out the window and they are FAR milder than a honey bee sorry to say, took me half an hour to decide that that quivering of his abdomen was actually a stinging action.

PH
Come on pete. he doesn't have a sting:svengo:.
My daughter ,sitting in the kitchen as a toddler , was stung by a queen bumble bee on the fleshy part of her thumb ! She screamed a little, soon shut up, and suffered no adverse reaction.
Bumble bee escaped with her life:).

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back