Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

tidymeup 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have just received for birthday my first poly hive from modern beekeeping. I am really impressed by it and so far it look good. Plus i will be able to afford more as they are cheaper then buying cedar or softwood nationals.

The thing is what should i do about frames should i order plastic of wood ? obviously i will have to convert my current national frames to fit which will be wood. will i need to get the bees working well on the wood and foundation before introducing them to plastic ?

Onge 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Hi

Just get them straight on to plastic, if thats the way you want to go. Don't give them a mixture of both, until there drawn that is.

Good luck.

tidymeup 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
How well will plastic frames do with extraction ? i take it they can take a bit more spinning as they won't warp or loose the comb as such ? or do you simply scrape everything off and start again ?

I have my frames on order and as i won't be able to dip them how do you go about waxing them on a smaller scale ?

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Are we talking plastic foundation, plastic frames or both? I run some plastic in wood, but not many. They are drawn OK when they are really needed (in a good flow). No difference in handling when completely drawn out.

Regards, RAB

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I received my first Poly Hive this week. bee-smillie
Havent put it together as yet. Saving this for my dayss off.
I didnt order frames as I was going to use Wooden ones.

I mistakenly assumed that the plastic frames needed plastic foundation.
So am I right in saying that you can use plastic frames but still use wax foundation?
and if so
are there any benefits between the two
ie. plastic or wooden frames?

tidymeup 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I think you can get frames in any combination. Be it plastic frame and foundation t last frames with wax foundation or a wood frame with plastic foundation.

Hope that makes sense, I was just wondering how people with a complete plastic frame and foundation wax them. How many coats etc?

Latest posts