First Poly on the way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
After many chats about insulation, and visible evidence of how a colony this year seems to have done very well early on in this type of hive, i have ordered my first one this morning.

I am quite excited to see how they get on inside and how it compares to my cedar hives.

And at that price well worth the experiment. Although my daughter wants me to paint it Pink !!!! ....... :svengo:

After many chats . . . my daughter wants me to paint it Pink !!!! ....... :svengo:
You will be in good company.. It seems the determination is always made by others, but it works well. :party: It might just catch on.

PH

Would you recommend polys as a good hive for a beginners first? If not then what?

Would you recommend polys as a good hive for a beginners first? If not then what?

Yes I would.

I've tried most, poly seems best so far.

Last edited:
i understand that Modern Beekeeing are to produce a NS national poly later this year...any one know if they will also do a 14x12...thinking whether i could use two poly supers at 300mm andf rob a bit of floor bees space for 14x12 frames

recommend polys as a good hive for a beginners first

The 'next-to-ours' LBKA bought a pallet of them from MBK earlier this year for members, and particularly for new members starting out (nuc of bees in a hive). I would have had one to try, if they were not Langstroth.

I am awaiting details from Rooftops regarding fitting 14 x 12 frames in their new nuc offering. I would certainly try competitive 14 x12 polyhives, if available. They have some definite attraction over a plain single-panel wood hive - insulation.

Regards, RAB

I am awaiting details from Rooftops regarding fitting 14 x 12 frames in their new nuc offering.
Regards, RAB

The Dadant or Jumbo Langstroth nuc we will have is going to be 310mm deep. It has been made this depth because in some countries they use a deeper Jumbo Langstroth frame than 295mm. For normal Jumbo Langstroths as used in the UK it needs only to be 295mm deep but the extra space under the frames makes no difference for a nuc and the extra depth means, luckily, it will take 14 * 12 frames with a frame conversion kit.

Hopefully, these will be in stock very soon.

The Dadant or Jumbo Langstroth nuc we will have is going to be 310mm deep. It has been made this depth because in some countries they use a deeper Jumbo Langstroth frame than 295mm. For normal Jumbo Langstroths as used in the UK it needs only to be 295mm deep but the extra space under the frames makes no difference for a nuc and the extra depth means, luckily, it will take 14 * 12 frames with a frame conversion kit.

Hopefully, these will be in stock very soon.

Are you planning on producing/stocking a vanilla National poly hive at any point Rooftops?

We will have a poly National later this year. It will be simliar in design to the current Langstroth, i.e. hard plastic edges, reversible roof etc and it should also be compatible with wooden National components as well. We can't give a date when it will be available but prices will be simliar (assuming current exchange rates) to the Langstroths, i.e. a basic single brood box hive will be about £50.00 including VAT. The first hive will take normal brood and shallow super frames. A 14 * 12 is a possibility but probably not before next season.

We will have a poly National later this year. It will be simliar in design to the current Langstroth, i.e. hard plastic edges, reversible roof etc and it should also be compatible with wooden National components as well. We can't give a date when it will be available but prices will be simliar (assuming current exchange rates) to the Langstroths, i.e. a basic single brood box hive will be about £50.00 including VAT. The first hive will take normal brood and shallow super frames. A 14 * 12 is a possibility but probably not before next season.

Very interesting, thank you!

Back