first of the 2010 honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
i got mine off the other week, left it for a few days no rape i didnt think my bees were working the rape and thats all thats grown round here. i got about 25lb of one hive and left them a super as they had no food in the brood chamber, i think i have 6lb left after selling some.

No OSR here so I was planning to leave my extracting until the end of the season, but I'm being pestered by customers asking for "new season" honey so it looks as if it will be two times sticky kitchen - again;)

Constructive criticism bee-smillie.
You could improve your product quite a lot by leaving it in a ripener for a couple of days before bottling !! It would eliminate the froth I can see in all the jars .
I know it hasn't been got ready for the show bench but the very idea of showing honey is to improve the presentation of the product.
If you aim for show quality ,your care will be reflected in increased sales .

Cheers John Wilkinson

I agree with John and if you look at the pic you can see the greater clarity of the honey at the bottom due to the air bubbles having risen up.

Patience and time... the real tools of beekeeping.

BTW I was once given a delightful half pound of Fushia honey by a beekeeper near Lerwick, capital of Shetland, and it was so clear I could read a broadsheet paper through the honey.

PH

I harvested my honey last week and got 16 pounds of a very light coloured honey from a super I only fitted in mid April. I left my for a day in the settling tank before bottling for the air bubbles to clear, but they was still some air bubbles when bottling.

Andrew

First super of comb honey this season.

Honey still for tea then....

PH

I do hope that is not a derogatory remark, else I will have to look out my arm length vet gloves and move a tail to one side and shove.... :reddevil:

PH

I do hope that is not a derogatory remark, else I will have to look out my arm length vet gloves and move a tail to one side and shove.... :reddevil:

PH

Takes me back to my previous career: great place to warm up your hands on a cold winters day................

PH

Nooooo.....never.

But on a serious note - have you painted/protected that poly super box PH? Looks 'raw' to me?

It's the angle from the dangle which is throwing you. The top edge is indeed raw and should be. The rest looks like this, the paint on the super is the colour of the brood box in this pic.

PH

Back