First inspector, first sting.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricBlueBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On Saturday i had our local bee inspector over, lovely lady. Proceeded to crack open the hive poke them and shake them and tell me how they're jittery on the comb... Well wouldnt you be if someone lifted your roof off, poked you and went "ohh she's jittery!"

After checking all is ok (outbreak of EFB in our area) she left quickly saying "best not go up there for an hour". My parents come out and ask "woul she like a cup of tea", i reply "no she's gone" at that point one of the ladies comes flying down the long garden, and has a go at me! After many times saying to mum "dont flap, it'll make it worse" i run around the garden like daffy duck flapping at my ear. The lady goes away.

"Mum, did i scratch my ear or was i stung?" - "There's something sticking out of your ear..." So she removed the sting.

Obviously i've been too gentle with my bees and the inspector has got a schedule! So i've got two badges of beekeeping honour in one day, 1st inspection, 1st sting. Not looking forward to the all telling second one!

Also had on sunday "I have some bees coming in and out of the brickwork, would you like them?" I'm liking picking up the things that experienced bee keepers have to face. But why on earth would someone think i'd want to keep Masonry bees?!

Love it! :cheers2:

On Saturday i had our local bee inspector over, lovely lady. Proceeded to crack open the hive poke them and shake them and tell me how they're jittery on the comb... Well wouldnt you be if someone lifted your roof off, poked you and went "ohh she's jittery!"

Sorry about your first sting hopefully it was not too painful. If you read the DEFRA sheet on EFB and AFB, a proper inspection for foul brood involves shaking all the bees off the comb to assess the brood properly; I'm guessing it was a somewhat more physical inspection than your girls were used to hence their 'attitude'. :)

After checking all is ok (outbreak of EFB in our area) she left quickly saying "best not go up there for an hour". My parents come out and ask "woul she like a cup of tea", i reply "no she's gone" at that point one of the ladies comes flying down the long garden, and has a go at me! After many times saying to mum "dont flap, it'll make it worse" i run around the garden like daffy duck flapping at my ear. The lady goes away.

"Mum, did i scratch my ear or was i stung?" - "There's something sticking out of your ear..." So she removed the sting.

Obviously i've been too gentle with my bees and the inspector has got a schedule! So i've got two badges of beekeeping honour in one day, 1st inspection, 1st sting. Not looking forward to the all telling second one!

Also had on sunday "I have some bees coming in and out of the brickwork, would you like them?" I'm liking picking up the things that experienced bee keepers have to face. But why on earth would someone think i'd want to keep Masonry bees?!

Love it! :cheers2:

how did you react to the first sting, should just itch today and be swollen for today and tomorrow

Oh yes i appreciate that it had to be done, i just found it amusing :)
Also glad to realise that poppy pollen wasnt some giant dollop of bee poo!

Well i had 10 minutes of slight heat and feeling like i'd been scratched, then it went. I got straight into the car and off to choir practice. I think i was probably saved by ear cartilage?

A sting on the ear, nose or finger can be a tad more sore as there's very little flesh in these areas. BTW; if you get a finger sting, take any ring off immediately.

Anyway, another 26 stings before you're a 'blooded' beekeeper.

Last edited:
another 26 stings before you're a 'blooded' beekeeper

Tell us more. What is magical about 27 stings?

Some might get that number in one or two or just a few visits; so what exactly is a 'blooded' beekeeper?

If someone says my name into a mirror three times will i appear with a hook and shoot bees from my... mouth? :-D

The inspectors see a lot of bees and can give a measure of temperament relative to the norm for the area...

<Tell us more. What is magical about 27 stings?>

God but you're very dry! Give it a rest.

Obviously you never heard the saying in horse-riding, 'You're not a rider until you fall off 27 times,' or being 'blooded' in foxhunting?

Are you going to jump on EVERYTHING I post? And if so, why? Am I upsetting your position as King of the Hill? A position I don't even aspire to.

Ah, can't be king of the hill until you have rounded up 10,000 men, marched them up to the top and then marched them down again (hang on that's a Duke, no idea about kings, wasted a perfectly good post there):reddevil:

At this rate it's going to take me 27 years to become a blooded beekeeper then lol, I'm still waiting for my first......been at this caper a year now, well, 3 weeks short. I'm worried the bees are saving them up for one big frenzied attack lol :p

"dont flap, it'll make it worse" i run around the garden like daffy duck flapping at my ear. The lady goes away.
:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

It's OK being a bunny bugger until it happens to you!!

Last edited:
kazmcc said:
At this rate it's going to take me 27 years to become a blooded beekeeper then lol, I'm still waiting for my first......been at this caper a year now, well, 3 weeks short. I'm worried the bees are saving them up for one big frenzied attack lol :p
Honey harvesting may be exciting times ;)

Latest posts

Back