First inspections etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Three colonies. Opened them up for the first time about a month ago to discover two were very active and one had completely disappeared. Where did they go, I wondered?
They were coming and going about 3 weeks prior to this but, apart from a few bodies, the hive was empty - and devoid of stores too. (A clue to why they'd left, perhaps?)

The remaining two hives are doing me proud. Both had plenty of brood and stores. I increased them both to 1.5 brood area and both have now drawn the supers and the queen is laying in the increased space. Both also
have a store super above a queen excluder and this also seems to filling up pretty well. I am feeding them, as this was recommended by a local beek.

Two questions.
1. How much longer should I feed?
2. Is it normal for the bees to be shirty for a few days after an inspection? At the moment, I have to suit up even if it's only to feed them.

Mart.

Configuration of brood and a half with a 'honey' super above the queen excluder?
Should not be feeding when supers are on, the bees are just putting syrup in the super and it will contaminate your honey. Feeding advice was to get the half drawn I expect so no super on while doing that.
The weather they are having to endure will make them grumpy, conditions are terrible and not much reward. Forgive them for now, it's quite tough for them at the moment.

Configuration of brood and a half with a 'honey' super above the queen excluder?
Should not be feeding when supers are on, the bees are just putting syrup in the super and it will contaminate your honey. Feeding advice was to get the half drawn I expect so no super on while doing that.
The weather they are having to endure will make them grumpy, conditions are terrible and not much reward. Forgive them for now, it's quite tough for them at the moment.
Best to remove honey super for now, feed until 1.5 brood is nearly filled and then add honey super/stop feeding?

Best to remove honey super for now, feed until 1.5 brood is nearly filled and then add honey super/stop feeding?
Filled with what? Syrup?
No more feeding. You say they have stores and your half brood is drawn. Then leave them at that. They don’t need a super of syrup on top. You need a super of honey on top 😉

two were very active and one had completely disappeared. Where did they go, I wondered?
They were coming and going about 3 weeks prior to this but, apart from a few bodies, the hive was empty - and devoid of stores too. (A clue to why they'd left, perhaps?)
They didn't go anywhere - probably just dwindled and died - any stores remaining would have been robbed out.
How many frames of brood in the other two to warrant going brood and a half?
Never feed when you have honey supers on
Who on earth recommends feeding when you have supers on? what else did they 'advise'?

feed until 1.5 brood is nearly filled
No waaay!

Point is that the .5 brood area is for brood, not syrup.

I'd encourage you to forget the .5 and change to double brood.

First, frame management with two sizes only works one way and your options are thus limited.

Second, if you're doing the work to run two boxes you may as well give bees the benefit of a full brood box, rather than a token .5.

The queen must have plenty of space to lay up to the June solstice; if not, you may soon report that they've swarmed.

Latest posts

Back