First inspection question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady malarkey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have just done very first hive inspection, having hived a nuc one week ago. Everything looks good - saw eggs, larva and the Queen! Bees seemed happy ergo I'm happy.

My question is this - the bees have almost finished a small contact feeder of syrup (1:1 granulated sugar/ water mix made using 1.5kg of sugar); should I give them another feeder full? My instinct says 'yes'. In a week, they've drawn out nearly two frames of foundation, fully on one side and partially on other side.

Is it wise to give the bees a little extra help for another week?

Thank you.

My weather forecast says a cold week ahead. What does yours say? I average met office and metcheck BTW.

My nucs have ample stores so I am not going to feed them, I know this as I have just been in them.

Do yours have a full frame of stores? If so it's up to you. Less, then yes for sure.

PH

It's not life or death. I would be inclined to continue with the feeding for a while. May as well give strong syrup, ie. 2 kg sugar to 1 litre water.

Back