First inspection of the year - did I get it right?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First quick inspection of the year today. I wanted to remove the full-frame feeders I mistakenly left on too long in the autumn and found the bees were building brace comb up into them. But as it happened, this comb was not connecting the feeder to the brood box frames as I suspected which is why I left them on over winter (wrong again!) and they came off both hives without trauma.

I didn't open up completely as it was still too cold for that but hives appeared to be doing well, with pollen arriving and a tiny fraction of the fondant left in October still remaining. So I gave both hives a couple of litres of 1:1 in a round top feeder and closed up. I hope to take a closer look sometime in the next couple of weeks to check the feed situation and removed the nadired super on one of the hives.

The most productive hive may also have filled the brood box judging from what I saw from above – is it too early to consider a super?

Yes if you are feeding syrup. All they will do is put the syrup in the super.
If they need syrup then they don't need the super if they need a super then they don't need feeding!!
Cheers
E

I know this sounds stupid but you have to try and think like a bee!!!! Try and think what you would want if you were living in the hive...... More room or more food! I do it all the time ( in real life it's usually food!)
It also helps for someone else to point something out....... Not always obvious when they are your bees!
Good luck
E

Latest posts

Back