First inspection - honey block?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Carried out my first inspection of my strong hive. They were overwintered on a nat brood and half (half below). I was amazed to find all 11 seams packed with bees and, by removing some frames for inspection, saw plenty of bees in the super below.

I've been feeding with fondant as a backup as still not sure what 40 kgs feels like for winter stores (will buy scale). Anyway, on inspection I found, 6 to 7 brood frames of sealed stores :eek:

So first action was remove fondant as clearly they have more than enough for spring buildup. Secondly i bruised a frame of stores adjacent to the last brood frame as suggested by PH.

This is a hive I intend taking to the OSR so I need to get the super off below beforehand. Immediately after flow, all things being equal, I intend to demaree, introducing 14 x 12 below and hopefully take off two splits from the above national.

Based on the above are they likely to get through all of the 6-7 brood frames of stores in the next 4-5 weeks (date of move to OSR), through weekly bruising, or should I remove, say, 2 or maybe 3 frames now and replace with foundation (it's all I have)? These stores would be used for the nucs.

I'm conscious she needs space to lay plus I don't want overwintered stores being moved into the new supers when they are placed above for the OSR.

I'd appreciate some guidance.

6 or 7 frames of sealed stores means that you only have 4 or 5 frames of brood.

I always gauge the strength of a colony on the amount of brood not bees. You will still have "winter" bees which will soon die off and have not yet reached the "cross over point" where new bees are emerging faster than old ones are popping their clogs:)

I would suggest that your colony is now a prime candidate for Polyhive's "working the brood nest. It works very well I have a colony that is going to be my queen rearing colony that now has 10 frames of brood!!not worthy

Firstly, how many years experience do you have?

Catch 22, or 23, or more with the stores. If she is slowed for laying, the stores will not be consumed as quickly as otherwise. A frame of foundation, if this is all you have would be good for a start.

Feeding fondant means the bees don't touch 'their' stores so it's a balancing act - many people feed fondant whatever but the end result can be no space to lay.

R2

Feeding fondant means the bees don't touch 'their' stores so it's a balancing act - many people feed fondant whatever but the end result can be no space to lay.

R2

That happened to me and I had 2 swarms last year.

I find this difficult as well. I had a look at the hive today to see stores, took off crownboard but couldnt see much as bees and gum everywhere!

I am stuck on feeding / using stores too.

Nick

Well I decided to take out 2 frames of stores and replaced with foundation. That leaves them with 3-4 frames of stores. I'll keep an eye on them weekly and if low, feed with fondant.

Does one leave the frames (80% capped) in the freezer or can one freeze them for 24 hrs to kill any potential wax moth and then store in a sealed box?

My mostly capped frames are overwintering in a spare brood box.
I have one frame of pollen in the freezer.
I have never seen wax moth here. Does anybody in Cumbria know if it thrives this far north?

My mostly capped frames are overwintering in a spare brood box.
I have one frame of pollen in the freezer.
I have never seen wax moth here. Does anybody in Cumbria know if it thrives this far north?

I seem to remember when I last had anything to do with bees some 10s of years ago there were wax moths about.

However if we are talking about the same moth this page seems to suggest it doesn't come this far north.

http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringbirds3/mothimageswaxmoth.htm

It must be a lot warmer in Surrey than here to be giving foundation.

Not something I would be suggesting at this time of year.

Why not bruise the two sides of the nearest stores frames to help them expand? Gently does it please. They are still fragile.

PH

Reporting back on the removal of 2 deep frames of stores two weeks ago;

I've just inspected and found both frames of foundation perfectly drawn and now filled with brood, pollen and fresh stores. Out of interest one frame of foundation was brand new Kemble wax which the Doc kindly ordered on my behalf and I'm told is the Rolls Royce of foundation and the other was the basic Th**nes which I had framed up in September last year but never used. Just passed the hairdryer over it before use. Both drawn no problem.

Seems to be plenty of honey coming in at the moment as they're fanning away each evening and there is heavy condensation outside the entrance each morning.

Take care that they have enough room to make more brood and room to handle pollen and nectar. Otherwise they will swarm.

Put an empty box under the recent box that they can enlarge their nest there. Move all food frames downstairs and give foundations upstairs.

If you have drawn combs, use them too.

Why under the brood box , - you have not yet summer temperatures in UK.

Why under the brood box , - you have not yet summer temperatures in UK.

Finman not sure of your point here.

I overwintered with super under the deep box. On inspection 2 weeks ago I discovered 6-7 deep frames of stores. I bruised the frame adjacent to the outer frame of brood. I then removed 2 deep frames of stores - not next to eachother - and inserted foundation. On inspection today I noticed both new frames were drawn.

The last two remaining deep frames of stores I bruised as well.

Happy this technique had made some space available for the queen I preceded to take the super below and placed above deep box with QX in between. I'm hoping those last two frames of bruised stores below will now be shift up into the shallow box creating further laying space.

Space is a big issue as they currently covering all 11no. deep frames and 6-7 no. frames in the super but I want to get them into a 14 x 12 box. Question is do I do it before the OSR in 2-3 weeks time or just after, as some have suggested.

10 frames of brood is impressive but then again you do live in a much warmer environ than in the uk

Finman not sure of your point here.

I overwintered with super under the deep box. On inspection 2 weeks ago I discovered 6-7 deep frames of stores.

Happy this technique had made some space available for the queen

I preceded to take the super below and placed above deep box with QX in between.

I'm hoping those last two frames of bruised stores below will now be shift up into the shallow box creating further laying space.

You had two weeks ago 2 brood frames and now you have "some" more young brood. And now you have QE waiting that bees start to move food stores???

It does not go that way. You chould take off totally that shallow box and give more laying area in restricted room.

You had so small amount brood and so young that it takes a month that the colony starts to expand.

But never mind. Sooner or later some one gives to your an answer which support your own ideas. (propably 2 hive owner)

Latest posts

Back