First Honey Co-operative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone know anything about this?

Ad in BKQ 09/09, but link leads to Abbey Insulation Company's Website :(

There is also an article on BBKA website.

Address is - Thorn Furlong Farm, Napton Road, Stockton

Yours Roy

There was a co-operative extracting set up created by Bob Couston at the East of Scotland Agri College in the early 80's.

It rapidly fell apart as such ventures usually do. leaving in it's after math some very expensive equipment which had been rather ambitiously bought.

PH

There was a co-operative extracting set up created by Bob Couston at the East of Scotland Agri College in the early 80's.

It rapidly fell apart as such ventures usually do. leaving in it's after math some very expensive equipment which had been rather ambitiously bought.

PH

Thanx PH :)

A honey co-op sounds a good idea, but I'm assuming you don't think they work?

I can see why they would buy good equipment, that would be the point.

Yours Roy

:) needed that 1

Things change.that one failed miserably as folks had over ambitious ideas to start with followed by other folks with over ambitious ideas as to how much honey their supers contained.

Right there were two major seeds of failure.

The equipment bought was perhaps not applicable to the task.

PH

I would be surprised if nobody here is familiar with them. As far as I know most medium sized honey producers dispose of their honey through the cooperative. Unfortunately the wholesale price is said to be rather low.

Dil

Last edited:
I've been a member of 1st Honey Co-op for a few years. However I've not yet had the need to sell honey through that route.
The basic scheme involves dropping your honey off at a collection point where it will be put into a barrel to go off to Rowse. You don't need a full barrel because your honey will be mixed with other beekeepers honey if necessary.
You get about 70% of the bulk value straight away and then a "bonus" at the end of the year when all the running costs have been apportioned and taken off your remaining 30%.
If you produce enough honey you will do better to deal directly with the likes of Rowse because you won't be paying for the running costs.
It's based in Warwickshire and surrounding counties.

I've been a member of 1st Honey Co-op for a few years. However I've not yet had the need to sell honey through that route.
The basic scheme involves dropping your honey off at a collection point where it will be put into a barrel to go off to Rowse. You don't need a full barrel because your honey will be mixed with other beekeepers honey if necessary.
You get about 70% of the bulk value straight away and then a "bonus" at the end of the year when all the running costs have been apportioned and taken off your remaining 30%.
If you produce enough honey you will do better to deal directly with the likes of Rowse because you won't be paying for the running costs.
It's based in Warwickshire and surrounding counties.

Hi Chris,

Thanx very much :)

Yours Roy

Back