First hive loss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige.Coll

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
some + a few more
Went to check the bees and found a dead colony.
There has been a lot of ground work at this site which I didn't know about, changed drainage and built the ground level up. The surrounding area drains into this field now as they are increasing the size of the lake.

Walking over to the hives I was filled with dread as the lake was frozen and very very wet underfoot but it was 10 c at home and sunny.
One colony completely dead other colony drastically reduced in numbers.
The area had become a frost pocket due to increased ground level I guess.
The inside of the hive felt wet as did the dead bees. Plenty of food in the hive and around the dead cluster too so not thinking it was starvation.

Brought the surviving colony home but not sure they will make it.
They are in a sunny spot and flying this morning so fingers crossed.

Gutted about the lost colony, told the farmer what had happened and why as these are his bees. A new site is being sorted, they didn't realise the work would have any effect.

This may be a daft question but would transferring them to a poly nuc do more harm than good at this time of year ?

Last edited:
What size is this colony?.
If on 4-5 frames when flying (2-3 when clustered) I would whip them into a polynuc and leave on the same site. Better to help than leave them vulnerable. And a bit of fondant feed.
Others may disagree.

What size is this colony?.
If on 4-5 frames when flying (2-3 when clustered) I would whip them into a polynuc and leave on the same site. Better to help than leave them vulnerable. And a bit of fondant feed.
Others may disagree.

:iagree:
Although for less disturbance, could you just remove some outer frames and dummy down their existing brood box with some insulation panels. That's what I've done with one of ours.
Hopefully being in a drier, sunny spot will help them turn around!

It looked like 1 1/2 to 2 frames clustered.
Lot of dead bees on the OMF.
I've moved them now not taking them back to that site again.

Thanks i'll clean nuc and sort it.

orientation flights atm. My wife doesn't want them on the worktop in the kitchen either really lol.

A www...that is so sad...I feel choked for you. Poor bees. I live in dread of finding mine in the same situation. Hope you are able to save the remaining cluster.

I have a few that are on 2 - 3 frames.. I now know that I should of combined in September.. and iff they survive the winter queens are culled and putting them together

I would go the Polynuc route, have 3 national timber and a small colony overwintered in a polynuc, fed them yesterday and got the impression they were really thriving in this confined insulated space.

For you to switch into the polynuc, give a fondant feed directly onto the frames above the cluster position, restrict airflow thru OMF , putting a solid floor under the short " legs " ( if the same as mine ) meaning they get airflow but not the full on breeze, couldn't but help your/their chances. :)

Did you have the hives directly on the floor or on a paving slab

On a hive stand above breeze blocks laid like slabs.

They aren't my bees i look after them that makes me feel worse.
I've done all I could fed them from august because of no forage, treated them for nosema after the sprays got to them, fed them for winter, insulated the roof and given them fondant. Short of putting central heating in and sky tv i dunno what more was to be done.

It's my first loss so i'm gutted.
making all these grave markers out of matchsticks is a pain lol.

What have happened to the colony
- varroa
- nosema
- too late brooding and quality of wintering bees

It is not rare that nosema reduces the size of colony.

- windy place and mesh floor
- a small cluster in big box.

What have happened to the colony
- varroa
- nosema
- too late brooding and quality of wintering bees

It is not rare that nosema reduces the size of colony.

- windy place and mesh floor
- a small cluster in big box.

I think it was damp mainly.
Not windy place. Mesh floor yes.
Varroa was managed no signs of any viruses.
Colony built up well late summer but wasn't huge.
Fed thymolated syrup

To be honest I don't know what it was but I suspect damp and frost pocket has a lot to do with it .

English frost pocket? What is that. Here hives had -20C periods and you have there 5C or something.

lol
Yeah it's colder over there mate.
What does it say before the words frost pocket ?

Varroa was managed no signs of any viruses.

When and what did you use for varroa?
Apiguard often puts the queen off laying and if the treatment is done late in the season you may not get the number of "fat bees" needed to overwinter. Just a suggestion.
Alec

When and what did you use for varroa?
Apiguard often puts the queen off laying and if the treatment is done late in the season you may not get the number of "fat bees" needed to overwinter. Just a suggestion.
Alec

OA and a varrox

English frost pocket? What is that. Here hives had -20C periods and you have there 5C or something.

As an aside, I knew a Czech gent who poo-pooed the advice he was given before he moved here, that Britain was cold in winter. You can imagine, "hah, -5, that's nothing, here we get -20, all winter".

He did find it cold. He was always grumbling that he was cold in the winter, even here in sunny S Wales. He felt cold because of the damp, not the "cold"!

Latest posts

Back