First full inspection this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
Clement(ish) weather today - warm, little wind, bit cloudy - so decided to go for it. Got everything ready and kitted up, just lighting my smoker, then it started to rain.:cuss:

Relighted smoker when it stopped raining and opened up.

Both hives have plenty of bees. I moved one colony from a nuc box to a full size hive. They look a bit lost but I guess they'll get used to it. I've been feeding this one for a few weeks and it seems to have enough stores for now so left without any syrup for the time being.

The other colony went into winter with a super almost full of capped honey, so didn't need feeding in the Autumn. I checked a couple of weeks ago and they still had capped stores and same today, also quite a lot of nectar and loads of pollen.

Lots of brood at all stages including drone brood and also noticed a few drones on the comb although I haven't seen any flying yet. I wasn't expecting to see drones yet - made me look harder for q/cells but didn't see any.

All in all a very pleaseant afternoon.:)

The nuc will need feeding to draw out the frames of foundation(if your not using drawn comb).

Latest posts

Back